Twin turbo UZ ST185

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
J

Justengt4

An update on what's been going on in TT land....not that much really :)

Still have the slipping clutch as Direct Clutch are slower than changing seasons and haven't finished by twin button setup yet.

Even so i blew the torsion centre in the diff and i'm currently nursing a TRD centre along (not really driving the car though). I have a JZA70 Supra diff to go in so that should sort out the diff issues for a while.

and i'm fully street legal and compliant. I have a full engineers report and the car passed rego with only noise giving me any problems. 90dB is soooo quiet but i made it thru easily the second time at 86 dB.

anyhow, the diff and clutch should go in this month so with luck i'll have some performance figures some time in early august. keep you all posted.

Justen, i was wondering, did you buy the turbo manifolds or did you fabricate them yourself? what material is it made from??? im looking for a pair myself... i was thinking about keeping her n/a for awhile but figured, heck, might as well go the full nine yards if im gonna do it anyways.... get it right the first time, you know what i mean? lol...

anyhow, so yeah, please let me know about them.. btw, when was the last time you were up in syd? i was at SAS in silverwater not long ago and they know you by name... so i guess you have them tune your car?

Hey R-Jay,
Yup made them from thick wall (3mm) steam pipe mandrel bends. 1.25 inch ID to help keep exhaust gas velocity up...1.5 is too big for 2lt i reckon.

Nope, SAS certainly do not tune my car. they have a good rep for sure but just too pricey in my book. A local guy in Canberra has done the tuning so far and i'll do the fine tuning on the road myself.

They sure are pricey... but apparently, they're the best if it's autronic... heck, they can pretty much tune anything.... Im still unsure whether i want an EMS 8860 or an sm2... either way, i wont be buying directly from them, though i will go there to get it tuned.

so how much should one pay for an sm2 anyhow???

Justen, you're pretty handy with a welder aye? lol... man, wish i could make up some manifolds myself... though i think ill have to end up paying 2grandish for a pair made up for my supra.... =(

anyone here in Sydney reckon they can help me get parts/labour cheaper??

Actually i design, measure, cut, grind, drill and tack but my mate is a welder by trade so i leave that up to him. No point me trying to out do him when he welds day in day out and is simply bloody awesome at it.

Depending on what you get with it an SM2 setup could set you back anywhere from 2 to 3.5K

3.5k? that'd be a real kick in the balls!

so could anyone tell me how good the 8860 is?? what ive been told by quite a few workshops is that it runs off the same (or most of it) hardware as the motec's.

Hardware is not really the issue as you don't need a super fast processor for EFI. as long as it's robust and stable you're pretty swet. It's programming where you pay the dollars and you do get what you pay for (or don't as the case may be).

Motec is the peak but only beacuse it has all the bells and whistles you need for a full race car. Autronic is as good for engine control but falls away a little in the datalogging stakes. Haltec is next and then come the rest.

in the cheaper units i've had experience with Wolf and thought it was good value for money. A previous Haltec version worked well for me too. Niether can hold a candle to the Autronic though.

My SM2 setup was very good value, shop around and bargain hard

hmmm, i'll do that then!
well, choices are still sm2 (if i havent too much into my budget towards the end) or 8860 (if i have used too much).

I agree with justen you get what you pay for.
Also the better (more expensive) controllers have better shoftware and are easier and cheaper to get running smothly. so they might not be that much more in the long run.

Justen,
Do you take this awsome machine to any shows around Canberra? Let me know on this forum next time you are taking to a show I would love to come and check it out.

Matt

It's my daily driver Matt (when i don't drive the work car anyway). You're more likely to see the car at Wakefield Park than at a show. It's tidy but not built for show....built for go :) Might do some club displays with the Canberra Celica Group but that's about it. Could do Summernats i guess but a shitload of effort and not really my thing. Look for it on street near you ;-)

Justen,

You do the no speed limit days at wakefield? Or club events? I'm only 15 minutes from Wakefield (living in town), and would love to check out your car when your next at the track.

Mine should be there within a few months all going well fingers & toes crossed, aiming for October-November finish.

Cheers

Damo

I do both Damo, whatever i can get basically. I believe there's a local club day some time early August so i'm trying to get the car ready for that. Need to beat the 1:13 my 4 cyl GrpA did on street rubber :)

Pulled the engine to do the twin plate clutch and upgrade the injectors as well as install the PS. All went smoothly and leaves me with that custom pulley that allows you to tidy the belt side of things up and the 320cc/min injectors.

$80 plus postage for the pulley and i'll chuck in the belt for nicks. Done maybe 200km? Something like that anyway..bugger all.

Injectors were freshly reco'd just before they went in so they are also mint. Looking for $300 plus post. Injectors are a straight swap and plug right on to the stock loom. Good for approx 300rwkw

Now we're finally seeing some real action. I got the hybrid MA/JZA70 diff installed as well as the twin plate button clutch. Gave it a very rough, and i thought safe, tune and got the thing to Wakefield Park on Mon. Took it pretty easy so no fast times but was still got a nice benchmark. Desperately needs a wheel alignment as we only did a dodgy by eye so who knows what it's set at.

Next step is get the tune fully sorted and a wheel alignment and go get some proper times. Once my digi cam reappears from Mon i'll post some updated pics of bits and pieces.

Justen- GORGEOUS!! Like an original Marc Chagall, what a work of pure ART!! Can't wait to get mine done and send you guys the pics. I haven't had time to read the whole thread- what engine management are you using? How's driveability?

Ryan

Ryan

I run and Autronic SM2.
Driveability is great..like factory but with 10 times more grunt when you want it :)

It's going great guns.

Had it on the track last Monday for a test and hoon day and considering the state of the wheel alignment and tune it wnet very well.

I trashed the gearbox upon returning home though so that's the next area that needs addressing. Looking to use a R33 GTSt box and drop the diff ratio back from 3.7:1 to the 2.9 i was running previously. Ideally i like a 3.3 but there aren't any available.

There are pics from the day at this link

I'm currently putting together a very basic web page as well so alot more pics to come

Last edited by a moderator: