twin supercharged speedboat

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

doctors orders

the boat had two toyota crown superchargers with a 600 holley. The motor is stock and is a 1uz.At the moment I run 5 psi boost and plan to redline at 6000 rpm. The boat will be curcuit racing and will be at max rpm for approx 3200 meters.Can anyone adise me if I can take it past 6000rpm and if so what mods may be required.
Thanks
Doctors orders

Welcome
firstly there would be no mods required for that. The motor is built very strong and will handle high boost and high revs (some say 10- 12,000 depending how deep your pockets are) Perhaps a thicker head gasket for boost over 8 lb
Do a search, theres plenty of info here.

thanks lexurious
they are already trying to force me up a class. at the moment blown motors suffer 140% capacity penalty which brings me into 6 litre. now they want to change it to 170% which brings me into unlimited, to protect their dinosour motors. i shall search the site for info to blow the dinousours away. If you had $5000 to spend what would you do to the motor(aussie dollars). regards Andrew

as your motor is set at a certain rev range, turbo would probably be the best option. You could perhaps invest in twin turbos. You could aim for 5-600 kw or so. Im unsure what the highest output is from standard pistons but it wouldnt be more than about that. Thick head gaskets and big fuel pump. How much room have you got?
If youre in unlimited class, you had better go all out and blow them away. :)

I would have thought a higher redline would be OK. Stock is 6500? The motors are pretty strong so I don't see blowing one holding it at that for that long, unless it starves oil or something. Why carb not EFI?

Hey Doctor
Did you buy the boat off Ray? If it is the one I am thinking of then you would have no problem with oil starvation. When building it he tapped extra oil lines into the head to overcome any problems like that. Go to my Public Profile. There is a link on there which has a couple of pictures of the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobra
Yes I did get the boat off Ray. Im having problems with the oil return from the gearbox. I think ill have to seperate the systems. Ive only taken the boat for a small run so far but it blows my old chev away. Look out for me at Windsor power boat club.
The turbos sound nice but i dont think ill have the balls to drive it. I want to live past 34. regards

Sounds like your budget is like mine.....
Heres my website if your interested

http://www.marxmotorsport.com

Mine is stockcar 53a, if you look under the Updates section.

From the stock engine we have changed the cams, ported the exhaust to match the 1" 3/4 primary extractors, made a larger sump pan with baffles, and I have replaced the stock ignition system with a standalone HPX Coil System. Still waiting to run it on the dyno, but have tried it on the track and it goes good.

I had typed heaps before, but my PC crashes and I can't be bothered typing out again :)

MADPhil
what cams do you run i am not interested in grinds i am looking for cams i am trying to get a bulk buy together can you get back to me on what type of cams you have ie were they built up of cast... and where you got them from.
cheers

At the moment I am just using re-ground standard cams.

Not the best for the engine, but much cheaper as I want to try different cam grinds.

I've got 2 sets of re-ground standard cams, and 1 standard set, which I will have ground at some point. It is easier (and cheaper) to supply your own cams to be re-ground.

Kelford Cams (http://www.kelford.co.nz) ground the current set I am using.

CSL Cams (http://www.cslcams.com) are very up with the play when it comes to the Toyota V8's. They even cnc new cams.

I noticed you said csl cams CNC cams.

I was under the impression you couldn't CNC from billets as the followers require the cams to be cast so they have a "self lubricating" property.

Could you fill us in on what they use as we have looked hard at grinding cams over here but the cost of the casting puts everyone off.

Madphil
Tell us more about cams
are thereground cams built up?
have you ground the base circle and accomidated for it in other areas: valves and shims?
what power increase have you got?

Zuffen Cams may be able to be CNC ed out of a solid piece of cast iron

Well Unfortunatly I don't work for them, so I don't have any idea how they make the CNC ones. Their web site seems to be down at the moment, but the cnc shafts were on the site.

I haven't bought cams from CSL before, I have quickly spoken to them about camshafts when I bought my inlet manifold from them and they were $2000 for a set of rebuilt shafts, but for what they do with them I don't know and I don't have the email address handy either for you to send them an email...sorry (I think it was something like [email protected])

As I said at the moment I am just using re-ground standard cams which were down by Kelford. Being ground from standard I am using some shim under buckets and I have had a set of shims custom made to suit.

As for the power gains I have got, well its hard to say as the car hasn't been on a dyno yet. But the engine has much more go than a standard engine.
Standard Spec the engines were around the 280-290hp and the theory is that mine should now be 350+ @7000 - 7500 rpm (depending on tuning).

Remembering that my engine now runs a 600cfm Holley Carb (not injected) on a custom inlet manifold. All the electronics has been removed and I am running an Electro-motive coil ingnition system. I'm also using 1"3/4 primary extractors.

I just thought Id point out in case anyone wanted to know...
Kelford are advertising billet cams for $1800
(I am guessing that there CNC machining them to order)

"TOYOTA
1UZ-FE quad cam (Lexus V8 new billets) all $1800"

www.kelford.co.nz
166 Wordsworth St Christchurch
03 366 4514 (international area code is 0064 i think)
Hope this helps

Logan

Doctor, contact myself and we will be able to help you as I have experience in the lexus area and good power for a boats requirements.

Logan,

Kelfords are machining cams from new cast blanks. You cannot use CNC cams in the 1UZ.

I keep in contact with them as to how they are progressing. At the moment we have another 6 weeks (or so) wait until they can give final prices and delivery dates