Tundra trans paddle shift

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

speedaddict

Is anyone here on this board familiar with the tundra auto trans? What is the actual name for the tundra tarns, A340? I would really like to be able to control the shifts via a paddle shifter, ratchet shifter or gate shifter. I’ve been told the stock tundra trans uses 4 electrical solenoids that open and close pressure lines, which in turn shift the gears. Based on that information I’m guessing an electrical paddle shifter is my best option, since I have yet to find a manual valve body for the tundra trans. Is it possible to rig up some kind of device that will send a signal to the four shift solenoids to make it shift when I want, without causing the stock ECU to go into limp/safe mode? I’ve come across this company, http://www.twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html ,which make a universal paddle shifter designed to be used in conjunction with this stand alone trans controller http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html , which completely replaces the stock tundra trans wiring harness. The PCS setup will not work for me because I still need the stock ECU to recognize a tundra trans behind the motor specifically because of the load sensor. I would like to use the universal paddle shifter and figure a way to make it work with my stock trans harness. Any Ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• pwr41-4.JPG
    pwr41-4.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 9
  • pwr41-2.jpg
    pwr41-2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6
  • pwr41-3.JPG
    pwr41-3.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
  • pwr41-5.jpg
    pwr41-5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
  • pwr41-1.jpg
    pwr41-1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
I talked to the owner of a reputable trans shop yesterday, he knew an awful lot about the tundra trans. He said he can do some valve body work to firm up the shifts, similar to IPT, but realisticly a paddle shift while maintaining the stock ECU just isn't possible. He did give me the idea of using a gate shifter from artcarr of winters that replaces the shifter on the tree and has the same pattern as the stock tundra linkage. This way I will have the ability to manualy shift the gears up to third (or drive, in a sense), then the ECU would shift to fourth and overdrive. I understand I will have to fabricate a linkage that will have the same throw as the stock shifter on the tree. This should work, right? Or am I mising something.

Also is it hard on anything to shift from Low to second to drive on a regular basis? The trans guy told me it shouldn't.