TT Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dean

The conversion so far....
After spending few G's on the motor, and custom clutch,fly wheel,bell-housing and turbos. i now have alot of stuff, a ute. and about 100 screwed up pieces of paper laying all over the floor on "plans and ideas".
before i was doing this build some one said " there is always alot of stuff u miss think, or think it will be right, but turn out to be a massive problem"
No truer words where spoken. so for all the blokes out there thinking aww yeah its easy come on round to my place and give me a hand on building this thing!! besides all the crazy buying and forum searching and some sleepless nights thinking i have wasted a few grand, it is under Way.

Super Blue Ute history.
I bought the old 84 hilux back when i was on my l's when i was 16 of the bloke who lived next to me, i had seen the old ute driving around by a bloke who originally built it. was the ultimate machine back in the day. anyways i bough this ute off the second owner, against everyone warning biggest mistake of my currant life. it had a 1ggte ( twin turbo soarer with a w58 gearbox) it ran 12 pounds. and had a nice 2.5 '' exhaust sounded really nice, not loud but nice growl and purrrrr.
What ended up killing it was, the previous owner never changed oil( 4 years) later found out, and the bearings where shot and gouged crank and the oil was full of copper shavings. ended up going through all bearings and yeah it was grinding and bugged. rings where worn, and couldn't find a rebuild kit for it, because it was so old. 1989 and against all peoples theory's it ran 20 pound fine on stock internals and injectors. that's not what killed it.
so the ute sat in the drive way for a month and ended up growing grass in the tub when, i got the mad idea of putting a v8 in it because there where going cheap and why not put twin t3 t4 turbos, because there was a adapter cad file for my gearbox =] thought i was bloody superman. well pretty crash hot.

Engine Finding.
stalked eBay like a mad man, trying to find a suitable engine i was looking at a 1jz but they where extra 1g. and was kinda on a budget anyways spoke to a guy called Daniel at south-side jap. in Melbourne and got me a good one with only 150,000 full service log, and was only dinged in the side of the car write off cost me 1600 for engine and postage to my door pretty much and that's Aussie dollars =].
Asked many websites for help on this Awesome engine such as boost cruising and toy-mods, just got idiots on power trips with no idea. that's when i found u guys, and it was Free ( toy-mods 50 bucks joining fee )

seen on ebay that there was bell housing clutch and fly wheel combo in Thailand bought that fits aw-some but had to mod slight thing in alloy bell housing ( got my own tig, easy job).
also found some mid priced t3t4's and i have corkybells book on turbos and another earlier one that helped with working out the trim and A/r and all that crap and yeah good book buy it or download worth it.

Current.
well i got the wiring out and sent to auto sparky to get stripped and modded so i can just wire it in, im no auto sparky but im pretty good behind a lathe and on the welder.
so i went for the first try fit today with gearbox on just to get the measurements for the turbo manifolds and mainly the engine mounts so i can fab them up. oil filter hits on the chassis rail bell housing hits sway bar and sump hits steering arm, so atm i have go the choose remove sway bar, mod the steering arm ( not sure if dodgy or not,) or just burn the whole project and try claim on insurance .
im trying to use the previous gearbox mounts so i don't have to mod the tail shaft ( as the budget is blown out the ass) it looks like its going to fit but the sway bar is in the way and i cant get the gearbox down enough because the bottom of the motor is hitting on steering arms i have photos that i will post but yeah any ideas hits info i have looked up a lot of stuff on here, but some one who has tackled this kind madness before would be much thanked thanks for having a read hope i haven't
bored u to much as i said pics up soon =]

I promised photos here they are,
they are the car how i bought it,
after lowering and a good clean up.
old engine before clean up, ( sorry no photo of engine looking prime but it did look lush)
new engine,
ute getting ripped apart
wiring getting taken off engine
*****(new ones coming soon )******
Old ute looks pretty tired and misused
50954494.jpg

By dean_ako at 2010-07-19

engine had to remove intake mani to get to wiring that runs through valley 180.00 for new gasket set.
a15vd.jpg

auto gearbox off and bit stripped, old kubota in the back.
a14f.jpg

just another view.
a13e.jpg

tubb off for twin 2.5'' exhaust and clean up of chassi and maybe a paint something radical?? yellow??
a12cj.jpg

Last edited:
first night home mate broke injector cover cost 8.00 to replace.
a10aw.jpg

another rear view..
20336059.jpg

my gt 42 ( probably turn into a rocket engine project or for a big single conversion) and my new t3t4, got another one aswell
69749776.jpg

wiring bleeding out the back, not the easiest to remove.
45655655.jpg

we are cutting the power-steering pump pully to ressess the auto tensioned belt wheel so we can use it without power steering and a/c. will send pictures of conversion first i have herd of this.
37531892.jpg

old 1g with inter-cooler, ran air into intake straight off turbos. awesome response and was better than cooler and 1g fans out there it for sale well u can have it
25388624.jpg

ute looking mint before engine died
61699657.jpg

By dean_ako at 2010-07-19.
enjoy, some comments criticism anything keep it real

Nice work mate, good form on the purchase of a v8- you wont regret it! Im just doing the lexus conversion into a hilux also, fun times and that dirty word - budget. Thats been blown out the ass a dozen times.

Good luck with it!

This is the hardest thing for people to understand about
Conversions
Budget will always blow out
And 90% of stuff on Internet and forums
Is not perfectly right
So u need to take everything in and study it
Lightly and make your own mind up on bow to do things

yeah budget $$$$$ i went and seen Che's super charged lux BEAUTIFUL machine. yeah lots of coin. LOTS. he was grateful enough to sell me a oil relo-cater and some old engine mounts. and the chance to copy his ones he has now witch mount his engine really good. in a 93 lux i think. thread is up here some where hopefully my 84 has the same mounts :S. big day tomorrow working on it.

few weeks have gone by since i have updated the build. but the latest so far.....
thought i found a fd40 radiator a 3 core i think there nice and thick and mount super nice in the engine bays. but when i went to see the bloke he stupidly left it outside and it got flogged. so i gotta save 300 for a alloy one but should work nice.
the oil relocator that i bought fitted mint in between block and chassis rail. good win there. and all my stuff had come just waiting on my magna flow xl turbo three core muffler to arrive from U.S and A. then i will have to track down some 1.5'' donuts to make my custom manifolds herd there pricey.
and a handbrake. that will fit and maybe a new speedo cable for my gearbox as sam kinked my one i had, and said it probaly wont work now but i dunno.

i went and seen cHe, member on this site he lives about half hour away and he lent me his engine mounts witch mount the engine up perfect in a hilux mine is 84 and his is 93.
fabbed up the mounts at work 5mm plate and punched all holes to slightly over size bolts only .25 of correct size. took me about two lunch times to do it. i have templates if some one wants me to copy them ( they fit with stock sway bar but the sump has to be modified aswell. have a template for that to) the weekend finaly came where i could get my mate sam to help me mount the engine in to the car for a test fit. 3 miracles happened
1. the engine fitted first pop.
2.the custom bellhousing and gearbox mount in the exact same spot as the old 1g engine and gearbox so no tailshaft to be made =]=].
3.sway bar & steering fitted nicely with modded sump.

But after the happyness happened the sadness finaly set in for the twin turbo lux to be transformed there has to be some serious mods to the inner guard on the left and maybe even bonnet mods ( pictures will come soon) to mount them both up high. :(:confused:, and try for both exhausts down one side.. when my mate said maybe it has to be N/a. i wasnt keen , but sat on the idea for a night. This morning went down to the news agency and bought budget conversions mag with a few other zoom mags in the pack( go before show is there moto, and sounds pretty good to me), i seen a twin turbo rx-7 with turbonetics things that where huge they where mounted high and it got the blood pumping again. and slight bit of inspriration was restored.
i have a few questions for the readers can the bonnet be legaly modified like holes to let the turbos sit up but cover them with scoops or re inforce underneath so the compressor housings sit up slightly ( ill post up pictures). who ever is new to this site and is think IM GONNA BUILD ME A BEAST with any motor. thats other than stock, dont be a idiot unless u have plently of money or u have alot of brains and access to things to build and fab things with ease. because its harder than u think.

P.S go a brand new bosh belt drive for 1uz. 40 bucks and some one can have it never been used, stupidly bought it when i need a custom one. anyways pics up soona nd more on the crazy build. tt hilux 84