Transmission Solenoids

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
When i got the used transmission for my car last week. The new transmission didnt shift properly. The car would initial the movement and just bogged and wont go any faster but after a while and the speed picked up. I also noticed the Over Drive indicator light also flashed. From there I knew something was wrong.

I took my car back to my friend's shop and he diagnosed that the solenoids were bad. He wasnt sure which one was bad. We swap out all four solenoids and the car runs find now. Its very interesting that how the transmission communicate with the main ecu.

I wonder which solenoid control what speed or shift from. Seems like my car wasn't shifting from 1st to second or third but fourth was ok. Here is a great Transmission Diagnoses page

hi Lex
solenoids 1 and 2 changes gears:
s1 and s2 = solenoids
1st gear: s1 on s2 off
2nd gear: s1 on s2 on
3rd gear: s1 off s2 on
4th gear (OD): s1 off s2 off

Jerry

Heya Lex,
I might need to ask this in the aussie bit of the forum, but I have precisely the same problem with mine, same shift pattern and all, although after about 30 minutes of operation, mine will start shifting normally... but until then same flashing code on the O/D light, same shifting from first to fourth etc etc
So replacing solenoids.. probably looking to replace all four as the fluids will have to be replaced and i dont wanna have to do that too often!
Now.... how much am i looking at for four solenoids? and even though i am happy to pull any part of the motor apart, i am yet to tackle the auto... Is a replacement such as this something im better off paying for? If so how many hours should i expect?? I am aware that there is no dipstick/filler on these as there was on my trusty Ford FMX auto.....
Just trying to educate myself and didnt find anything too useful when i did a search...

cheers!
BM
P.S. I am based in Darwin (middle of no-where quite literally) but have yet to move the car up, its coming up from Sydney shortly, might have to get it done there if an outside party is the go..