Toyota V8 Engine for Drag Racing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lidiak Motorsports

Okay folks, I am a "newbie" to this site, to Toyota, etc...we drag race a tube chassis Camaro in Top Sportsman. We are about to build a Toyota Solara tube chassis car and want to run a Toyota V8. I have joined the "TRD" web site but have not found out what I need to know. I did find out that I cannot get my hands on a Toyota NASCAR motor. What other V8 engines are available and what aftermarket cams, pistons, etc.....can be found. Send me down the right path.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• A341E.JPG
    A341E.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 91
  • A340.jpg
    A340.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 92
There are two families of engines available.

URFE and UZFE. UZFE family is from 1990 to 2006 and URFE is from 2007 to present. Let use know drag class regulation. Turbonectic did this years ago with great success.

Engine size from 4.0 to 5.7 and pretty much everything in between. Older engines are alot cheaper. For my opinion not knowing the regulation. I would suggest 1998 to 2000 motor.

I would suggest 1998 to 2000 motor.

why?
for an engine that is going to be turned inside-out in the build process, what benefit does that model offer? maybe for isolated benefit that the buckets are already shim under, but thats about it. and you can buy those off-the-shelf anyway. block will be grouted, piston and rods will be junked, cams will be remade, heads will be ported to the sh1thouse, all custom manifolding blah blah blah

top sportsman can run basically any engine it wants, any capacity, any additions. the canvas is yours.

the important question is how much does the car weigh, how many hp do you need to make, and do you want to make it sc or turbo? is 4.0L going to be enough? is 4.7 enough?

Attachments

• chris sump 028.jpg
    chris sump 028.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 25
  • chris sump 030.jpg
    chris sump 030.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 24
  • chris sump 031.jpg
    chris sump 031.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 25
  • chris sump 032.jpg
    chris sump 032.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 26
Toyota V8 Engine for Top Sportsman

The car will weigh approx. 2350 lbs, we need approx 1100 horsepower. We originally were going to build a Toyota bottom end, 13.5 to 1 compression, just like a Chevy or Ford. We plan to build a sheet metal intake to accept a Holley 1150 Dominator, Nitrous, etc...etc.

I am in contact with several machine shops around the country but very few have done much with Toyota V8's.

TRD has the motor but impossible to get. Cmon guys I am depending on you.

Lidiak

I would want to start with the 3ur block, maybe 2ur heads put a decent amount of devolopment into an intake mainfold, port design and valve design. CFD is the future... add on a pair of turbos, decent air to water intercooler. and all the goodies needed.

what i dont understand is why are all the unlimited class drag racers so into the Solara, it was never a car that was really ever cared about why not supra or SC400 or how about an IS-F? atleast those cars are accually RWD and two acaully came with a V8, and hell if you start with the 2ur head you accually have part of a real IS-F in the build. ive accaully never even seen any mention of a Solara ever aside from the last tube chassis cars a few years back. do people even bother with rims intake and mufflers on those cars?

piranha guys in rockhampton would be getting 1400hp odd out of their sc 4.0L uz, i dont imagine aero wouldvebeen far off that, but theyve now taken a different path! lol

The Solara is attractive to drag racing because:
The wheelbase is long and can most easily be minipulated to fit existing chassis technology.

It is aerodynamic and fiberglass, carbon fiber, and other light materials are readily available for the body.

Easy crossover to Drag Racing rear wheel drive.

For this sort of power ?? Abuse ??
Wouldn't an aftermarket block from Dart/ World, Man O War be better option ??
Yes there are no Toyota engines.. But it's hard to compete against reliable 1800 h.p.....
CNC Toyota onto rocker covers ? You come close to having a Nascar block !!

By the way Jake was refering to 1UZ, 2UZ etc not 1 & 2 UR which is the latest Toyota V8.

XR8TT is right.

You can't go past cubic inches for power.

Toyota V8 Engine for Top Sportsman

We are running Dart block, Dart heads now in a standard big block Chevrolet configuration. We want something different. Interesting you brought up CNC Toyota in the valve covers, we actually thought of that.

Thanks for your help, I will stay on TRD to see if I can get something from them.

Attachments

• hilux-ls1-v8-32.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-32.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 146
  • hilux-ls1-v8-33.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-33.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 142
  • hilux-ls1-v8-34.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-34.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 144
  • hilux-ls1-v8-35.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-35.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 145
  • hilux-ls1-v8-36.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-36.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 143
  • hilux-ls1-v8-37.jpg
    hilux-ls1-v8-37.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 143
By the way Jake was refering to 1UZ, 2UZ etc not 1 & 2 UR which is the latest Toyota V8.

NOOOOOOOO.... i was refering to the UR. spicficly the 2UR-GSE heads (08-09 5.0L IS-F) on a 3UR-FE block (07-09 5.7L Tundra)

Granted its just forum speculation if that would work and yeald good power and what custom parts would need to be made sence the motor are so new, but those who dont break new grown fall behind, and the dude did say he wanted somthing diffrent. he can be the first like turbonetics/scrantons where with the celica.

as for the body, isnt it just a fiberglass shell on a tube chassis, if thats the case why is there any rason at all it has to be a solora, you could make an IS-F looking shell as aerodynamic as you want it to be. unless of corse you picked up the old solora shell or am i mistanken and its really a unibody car.

as for a crate motor with toyota CNCed into the valve cover, I would totally loose intrest in half a second. car might as well be just another mustang.

Granted that the new UR motors are larger in cubic and better head flow but the block is somewhat weaker. It is all depending on the budget. Paul Carey has a killer billet CNC 2UZ block and looks very promising of what you want to do.

Granted that the new UR motors are larger in cubic and better head flow but the block is somewhat weaker. It is all depending on the budget. Paul Carey has a killer billet CNC 2UZ block and looks very promising of what you want to do.

Do we have any pics or a price tag on this block?? What is it that makes it better than the Toyota 2UZ? Is it thicker in the thin spots?? All the bolt holes have beefier threads?? Stronger Material??

Do we have any pics or a price tag on this block?? What is it that makes it better than the Toyota 2UZ? Is it thicker in the thin spots?? All the bolt holes have beefier threads?? Stronger Material??
Did you follow through with this link ??
Tmk the CNC block is around $10k..

icon1.gif

Here's an option ?? CNC [2UZ] alloy block..
http://www.aeromanagement.com.au/racing/
http://www.aeromanagement.com.au/racing/projects.html
HTH..Hope this helps..

Attachments

• Nozzle collector drawing.jpg
    Nozzle collector drawing.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11