Toyota 5.0

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi guy's

What's the deal with the 3URFE,

Are they available ( jap import joints etc etc), and how much coin are they selling for??

AND are they as a strong engine, or like from the first 1uz ( real strong) but the 3uz, not as strong, pissy rods etc.. bla bla bla,......:D

But you have to say, the Ford Coyote engine is good value , 5.0 at 412hp N/A for around 6300 USD brand new in the crate
Even for us poor battling Aussies...

Well if been sneeking around this forum for the past 6months and have decided what I'm going to do. Note this project is just for shits and giggles also it would be kinda cool just to have one IMO. I have done a couple cars with just bolt on and such but have never popped open an engine so bare with I'm hoping to learn from this.

I want to build an all motor 5.0 2uz bottom with 1uz heads. My questions are:

Could I bore it out the extra .3L or would I have to go with a full stroker assembly. If so how much would I have to bore it out?

Secondly this build will be purely bolt on performance maybe 150
in the future but Im leaning torwards it being vvti would it benefit more from the bolt ons or should I go with a non vvti?

Thank you to anyone who responds.

You're stated goals are to gain experience (engine building, performance enhancement) something unique (5.0 Lexus/Toyota xUZ build) and something "modest"... btw, a NA xUZ making 500hp is NOT modest!

You can gain experience and maybe wisdom from the long and expensive route... take on the project you have outlined... OR... you can gain from the collective wisdom and experience on this (and other) forums.

My recommendations to pursue YOUR goals:

Buy a JDM early model 1UZFE. Take it apart. Measure and spec what you have. Rebuild it replacing only what it needs.

Buy a 1992-1997 SC400, or a 1990-1997 LS400.

Bolt in your rebuilt engine. Add headers. Use the stock Y pipe. Follow my exhaust recommendations. Get a piggyback ECU tuner (preferably a Greddy eManage). Make friends with a dyno tuner. Learn and understand TUNING.

Of course you could simply rebuild the engine from whichever car you bought but having a spare engine has many benefits and is well worth the low price they can be purchased for.

The above should give you a car with roughly 240rwhp.

NOW... you could go a slightly more expensive route and buy a VVTi SC400, LS400 or GS400 and get a JDM 1uzfe VVTi engine and rebuild that.

Take the above tuning route.

This should give you a car with roughly 275rwhp.

You will now have the EXPERIENCE to go after that stroker plan OR a much more powerful forced induction plan.

Take you spare set of cylinder heads and LEARN to port them (NOT easy and you may well ruin one or more sets of heads learning). Install them on your car and dyno tune that combo. IF (giant IF) you have done a good job porting you should pick up measurable power... hopefully without killing low RPM power and response.

This combo on a VVTi platform is capable of 300rwhp.

Obtain some more aggressive camshafts. Power potential dependent on the grind AND tuning AND whether or not you can defeat the OEM rev limiter.

Hopefully you are starting to get the idea of what it will take to reach your original goals. Most of the above is a great idea BEFORE you attempt a high power stroker build.

What OTHERS and what I really recommend is buy the 1995 or older SC400 or 1994 or older LS400 and TURBOCHARGE the otherwise stock engine.

The advice about getting a spare engine and learning to rebuild it still applies.

The power potential IF (all my IF comments are giant IF's) you learn to do it right is over 500rwhp.

Also, a 500rwhp turbo engine (done properly) is faster than a 500rwhp NA engine due to the wider and stronger torque curve on the turbo.

Good luck and keep us posted on your plans and progress.

You're stated goals are to gain experience (engine building, performance enhancement) something unique (5.0 Lexus/Toyota xUZ build) and something "modest"... btw, a NA xUZ making 500hp is NOT modest!

You can gain experience and maybe wisdom from the long and expensive route... take on the project you have outlined... OR... you can gain from the collective wisdom and experience on this (and other) forums.

My recommendations to pursue YOUR goals:

Buy a JDM early model 1UZFE. Take it apart. Measure and spec what you have. Rebuild it replacing only what it needs.

Buy a 1992-1997 SC400, or a 1990-1997 LS400.

Bolt in your rebuilt engine. Add headers. Use the stock Y pipe. Follow my exhaust recommendations. Get a piggyback ECU tuner (preferably a Greddy eManage). Make friends with a dyno tuner. Learn and understand TUNING.

Of course you could simply rebuild the engine from whichever car you bought but having a spare engine has many benefits and is well worth the low price they can be purchased for.

The above should give you a car with roughly 240rwhp.

NOW... you could go a slightly more expensive route and buy a VVTi SC400, LS400 or GS400 and get a JDM 1uzfe VVTi engine and rebuild that.

Take the above tuning route.

This should give you a car with roughly 275rwhp.

You will now have the EXPERIENCE to go after that stroker plan OR a much more powerful forced induction plan.

Take you spare set of cylinder heads and LEARN to port them (NOT easy and you may well ruin one or more sets of heads learning). Install them on your car and dyno tune that combo. IF (giant IF) you have done a good job porting you should pick up measurable power... hopefully without killing low RPM power and response.

This combo on a VVTi platform is capable of 300rwhp.

Obtain some more aggressive camshafts. Power potential dependent on the grind AND tuning AND whether or not you can defeat the OEM rev limiter.

Hopefully you are starting to get the idea of what it will take to reach your original goals. Most of the above is a great idea BEFORE you attempt a high power stroker build.

What OTHERS and what I really recommend is buy the 1995 or older SC400 or 1994 or older LS400 and TURBOCHARGE the otherwise stock engine.

The advice about getting a spare engine and learning to rebuild it still applies.

The power potential IF (all my IF comments are giant IF's) you learn to do it right is over 500rwhp.

Also, a 500rwhp turbo engine (done properly) is faster than a 500rwhp NA engine due to the wider and stronger torque curve on the turbo.

Good luck and keep us posted on your plans and progress.

I completely understand what you're saying and think it would be a better idea to start somewhere smaller then my original plan. I should at least learn the basics of engine building before I attempt a stroker.
But the idea of a 5.0 toyota still there end will be my ultimate goal...

Thank you for the advice fellas and JBrady thanks for putting things in perspective.

You may laugh at this, most do. But you were wondering what to drop the engine in when all said in done. Believe it or not these engines fit pretty nice into Mazda miatas. I'm currently tinkering with the idea my self. I bought a 1uz back in April and currently coming up with ideas. My Miata is sitting in the garage awaiting tear down to begin this project. I have also bought a 95 Lexus sc400. So my choices are endless..