Torque converter clearance?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jim Blackwood

How much end play (or movement) should the torque converter have when unbolted from the flex plate?

This is the AA80E transmission used in the 2008 IS-F but I'd imagine it'd be the same as the 6 and 5 speeds.

Jim

Not familure with this trans.. But "most" have clearance between .08 / .125..That after you've pushed converter into pump..
It requires clearing when converter baloons alittle with rpm...
Prevents wear on crank thrust bearings also...

Interesting question.

The end play should be nil but you can slide the converter off the splines of the front pump in the gearbox if you wish.

Graeme is referring to clearance detween the body of the converter and the front of the trans casing or mounting bolts, whichever protrudes the furthest. As the converter comes under pressure it balloons or expands and if it touches the front of the trans case it is driven forward against the flex plate and this is what loads the thrust bearings on the crank.

Interesting response. I know that with the typical American automatics 3/16" is standard. This is the distance that the converter will move rearward into the transmission after it is unbolted from the flex plate, and it is to allow for swelling of the converter under high rpm operation. I will have a look at the pump drive notches in the converter and see what I can tell from the wear patterns. Thanks,
Jim

Couldn't tell anything from the contact patterns. But the pump drive notches look very similar so I'm guessing around 1/8" and maybe a little more should work out fine.

The AA80E is used behind the UR series engines. I have it on the bench next to an A650E which was behind the UZ series. The 650 has the converter's flex plate mounting lugs about 7/8" (approx) behind the bellhousing flange where the AA80E has the lugs about 1/2" back. Can anyone confirm that this is correct for the AA80E? I'd hate to go to the trouble of making up a mounting disc for the converter just to find that for some reason I'd been unable to seat it fully on the input shaft.

Jim