TIMING - new belt wont align

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

DirtyOldMan

92 ls400
have done this before on another 1uz with great success, however i cannot get this one to lign up correctly.

Bottom crank is at TDC-0*:
photo3gv.jpg

and i have both crank pulley's lined up to the marks on the motor,
when i wrap the belt around pulley L this is where the mark goes:
photo2mvn.jpg

both pulleys do the same thing, what am i doing wrong?

1. Make sure your crank pulley mark is at TDC
2. Make sure your cam pulleys are at the reference points
3. Make sure your belt is ORIGINAL Toyota.

We have read many posts about belts being too loose and too tight due to aftermarket. Please refer to these two articles:

http://lextreme.com/timing.htm
http://lextreme.com/timing2.html

#1 - CHeck
#2 - Check
#3 - Im thinking, its the belt.

EDIT: Looking at this picture: the marks on the belt are where mine are.
timingc.jpg

I thought the marks on the belt had to line up with the marks on the pully 1oclock and 11oclock

Last edited:
Most common mistake would be the first two steps.

Check the pic below:

image004.jpg

thanks for the help but there is only one mark on the left pulley and thats the yellow painted dot, and directly across is a slot in the pulley. im lining that up with the straight line on the cover behind the pulley, same with the right side.
im confused, have you ever heard of a belt coming defective. i feel as if the white lines on the belt are not in the right position. Gates T298 is the oem belt for the 1uz and same item number i used previously.

Ignore the belt marks, as long as crank is at tdc and both cam's are also lined up with their respective marks everything will be fine

thats what i was thinking. when i place the belt on the cam pulleys where there "supposed" to be with out putting on the crank first all the slack is where the water pump pulley is.

So I have everything lined up, im going to put the belt on the crank with the markings right and ignore the marks on the belt.
Now to check everything is lined up after i pull the pin, the cam pulleys should align back up to the marks on the plate behind them after 2 full rotations correct?

You are trying to fit the belt back to front.. Look at your pics/car again.. L-cam means the left cam and by that the left side of the car not your left when you're standing in front looking at it.. Don't mean to sound rude as I've made the same mistake myself and it's real easy to make..

A simple way to avoid this mistake no matter if genuine or aftermarket belt is used is that when standing in front of the car is that the writing on the belt is the right way up, plus most makes of belt have arrows that denote the direction of engine rotation

The cams clearly say L, and R. The arrow on the belt is pointing out.
I don't understand. Like I said, I've done this before.

The cams clearly say L, and R. The arrow on the belt is pointing out.
I don't understand. Like I said, I've done this before.

If the marks are lining up as per the photo you posted, then they're wrong, because the "L" mark is clearly over the right hand cam on that engine.

When you're facing the engine from the front of the car, the left cam is actually on your right, and the right cam is on your left, because on these engines, as with most every other Vee engine, left & right references are taken if you're facing the rear of the engine, not the front.

Look at the cam drive sprockets for confirmation - you'll see the letters L & R cast into one of their spokes.

The photos below are how the belt marks should line up - if you zoom in on the 1st pic, you'll see the sprocket on the right hand side of the pic has an "L" mark on its spoke, and the sprocket on the left hand side of the pic has an "R" mark. The 2nd pic clearly shows the orientation of the belt.

The 3rd mark that must line up, is of course the notch in the lower timing pulley with the bump on the front timing cover (3rd & 4th pics).

Attachments

• IMG_0695 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0695 (Custom).JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0696 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0696 (Custom).JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0694 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0694 (Large).JPG
    129 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0692 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0692 (Custom).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Ok here we go, i bet you guys think im stupid. but trust me something is not right:

First few pics are of everything lined up so you guys can stop saying make sure its at TDC etc:
photo4hu.jpg

Left cam gear:
photo6kc.jpg

Right cam gear:
photo5wi.jpg

belt marks on crank:
photo7jb.jpg

Belt on LEFT CAM PULLEY(notice where the belt mark lines up)
photo8ry.jpg

Belt on RIGHT CAM PULLEY:
photo9pe.jpg

Now When i take the belt off completely and place the belt on both pulleys where the marks are SUPPOSED to go, look how much extra slack i get.
photo11uw.jpg

so now that should be enough for you experts to tell me what you think the problem is, its almost as if the marks on the belt for the cam pulleys are to far apart?

Those pics look better!

I went back and double checked your belt reference, and I think you've got the wrong belt.

You said you're using a Gates T298, but according to my Gates references, the early model (non-VVTi) 1UZ that you have, needs a T190 belt.

The later model 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ engines all use the T298 belt

Those pics look better!

I went back and double checked your belt reference, and I think you've got the wrong belt.

You said you're using a Gates T298, but according to my Gates references, the early model (non-VVTi) 1UZ that you have, needs a T190 belt.

The later model 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ engines all use the T298 belt
Great find John....

That will clear up alot of questions...