TIGHT exhaust header in Triumph Stag

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

BlueStag

I'm trying to insert some images of some compromised exhaust headers used in a Triumph Stag installation. I need to believe that the space is VERY tight (I have a Stag and I can guess).

Does anyone recognize these "headers" and can anyone guide me to slightly more efficient headers? The firewall on this car is very vertical, there is little room after the end of the engine.

If the images don't post, I'll have another go.

Attachments

• stag history 111.jpg
    stag history 111.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 60
  • stag history 113.jpg
    stag history 113.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 52
Shhesh your loosing some power / efficiancy there..
Can some block huggers be made ???
Where primary pipe goes down under engine mount then back ??
Even 2 into 1 each side of engine mount so there only two pipes
to sort out clearance wise...
It looks like you need a custom set of headers ???
Expensive but you possibly won't regret it once done..

Must be super tight, any pics of engine bay clearance? That top one looks like nothing was safe from compromise :)

Depends on what your after, but i think if you give up a couple of luxuries you could get four runners in there. This is my unfinished set of front exiting headers for a tight bay:
block huggers

I'd vote full custom as well. Those ones in the pic look custom made anyway, I doubt you get anything like that off anyone's shelf.

These are Andrew's headers, down in N Zealand.

Now that I look closer at his notes, yes, they are off of a crown.

Which looks so rare as to be utterly unavailable to me in Los Angeles.

So, while I am not eager to pay for full custom headers (in fact, that is a non-starter) but rather, I am asking for what would be a good starter that I'd be likely to find in Los Angeles that could be cut and arranged a bit that would achieve what Andrew did, but a little cleaner?

Must be super tight, any pics of engine bay clearance? That top one looks like nothing was safe from compromise :)

Depends on what your after, but i think if you give up a couple of luxuries you could get four runners in there. This is my unfinished set of front exiting headers for a tight bay:
block huggers

I'd vote full custom as well. Those ones in the pic look custom made anyway, I doubt you get anything like that off anyone's shelf.

Those ARE some pretty headers, but they obviously would not be suitable for a Triumph Stag. The output of the headers would land about in the crotch of the driver and passenger, and no offense, but that was not part of my plan!

Seriously, I like the look of them. What diameters are the take-off pipes?

Haha, yeah I assumed you wouldn't be able to use something like that. Pipe is 1.5in at the head stepped down to 1.25in shortly after.

It was more to say you can run two or three runners fairly tight against the head then angle down around your engine mount. It doesn't look like it'd be too difficult but obviously hard to say without seeing clearance pics. I reckon if you can mod some headers to fit in there you've got the skills to start from scratch, which might net you better results.

To make something like your first photo I think it would be best to start from scratch. We make up a log style header in our workshop as its too hard to get genuine logs now. Takes a little while but better to start woth new material than work with old used pipe. I would follow the old chev style rams horn manifold which flowed the front two cylinders back and the rear two forward then merge the two into one behind the engine mount. Pipe size can be quite small and still get good result. I would be happy to merge each side into a single two inch pipe. Cheers

To make something like your first photo I think it would be best to start from scratch. We make up a log style header in our workshop as its too hard to get genuine logs now. Takes a little while but better to start woth new material than work with old used pipe. I would follow the old chev style rams horn manifold which flowed the front two cylinders back and the rear two forward then merge the two into one behind the engine mount. Pipe size can be quite small and still get good result. I would be happy to merge each side into a single two inch pipe. Cheers

I like this board! Very active and friendly!

I am a Toyota MR2 freak as well, and have lusted to drop a V6 into a MK2. I like mid-engined cars a lot.

But I own a Stag, it is in good shape, so economically it makes sense to do an engine swap in it. Besides, it has four seats.....

Youse guys are alright.

I've always wanted a Stag...

Get some header plates and make them to suit (the extractors) and do a welding course at a school. Thanks to this post I have just got my self very deeply in the sh!t and it aint a 1UZ. Do a search On A9X to see what I just did

Stag exhaust

LOL.... I know those log exhaust arn't pritty but they work :)

I did tidy them up a bit before re fitting the engine.

Haven't yet found an exhaust man that will do me a better set of headers for under $2 K !!

1UZ-FE is a tight fit into a Triumph stag !

Hi Blue stag. Know that my exhaust manifolds arn't the prettiest but they seem to work OK. I did tidy them up a bit more when engine was out. On the LHS cut a 45`flat like at the front at the rear end of the log and moved the position of the O2 sens up and angled in a bit. Finially covered both in heat wrap and they don't look so bad.
Photos show LH and RH side of engine with exhaust manifolds.
On a side note the Engine & Auto Trans cannot be fitted into a Stag while joined together (ok maybe if you dropped crossmember it might squeeze in) we tried and tried but it wouldn't fit thru. We ended up spliting the trans off, fitting engine from the top then trans from underneath.

staghistory247.jpg

staghistory249.jpg