Supra Vs. LS400 (95) Brake Upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
James & David, I'll need to meet with David to pick up the rotors, maybe this Friday night. So maybe we all should meet up at the Tango Mango. I love the Korean ladies over there. Does that sound good?

John, where were you? Let's come by and have some tea.

Green Tea? I'll meet up....So Steve where are at with your SC400?...Is it running yet?
How about tomorrow night at 9:30 p.m. at the old Tango Mango place? David, James...where are thou?

The turbo project is 98% done. It should be fired up if I have 2 more hours. However, it'll need a major body work to be run on the streets.

I can't do it tonight fellas, I got a date with this girl I've been working on for months... I am hoping for a nice time tonight wish me luck...

How about tomarrow night or maybe Sunday?

His name was Lextreme you big fruit cup.... A sexy Asian guy that made me oh so horny....

Anyway, she was hot, she was dressed nice, she ate well, she drank too, and at the end of the night she didn't even give me a kiss good night... 1rst dates are expensive and sometimes they suck...

Fast forward to date number 3 please!!!!

That is just siccckk.. Cum on guys??? LOL.... Getting too friendly around here.

His name was Lextreme you big fruit cup.... A sexy Asian guy that made me oh so horny....

Anyway, she was hot, she was dressed nice, she ate well, she drank too, and at the end of the night she didn't even give me a kiss good night... 1rst dates are expensive and sometimes they suck...

Fast forward to date number 3 please!!!!

Therm, Was this thread originally about brake upgrades....WOW, did we get off subject on this one...

Ooooopps my bad.... Yes James sick I say, sick!!!!
LOL...I think we're all just getting bored here.

John, question for you. Since you're having the same rims as I do, I presume they have the same offset, too, I'd like to know when you had your previous Supra brake on the front, did it fit without the spacer?

While I'm waiting for you, I'm going outside and paint the LS calipers anyway.

No way Steve they didn't fit, not even close...I Had to make a 5/8" wheel adapter on the fronts...That created some steering and rubbing problems which ultimately fouled the whole project swap up and rendered it all a complete wash... Those Supra Calipers stick way out to say the least...

The LS4 4 piston Calipers may work for you much better Steve...They don't stick out so far...

You really want to try and stay away from front end spacers, especially if the SC400 is lowered. Creates trouble that nobody wants...

Good advice John.. Steve you should try to stay away from big spacer as much as possible. I would not go no more than 15mm spacer. It would be better to change to better fitting wheels instead. That is my opinion.

No way Steve they didn't fit, not even close...I Had to make a 5/8" wheel adapter on the fronts...That created some steering and rubbing problems which ultimately fouled the whole project swap up and rendered it all a complete wash... Those Supra Calipers stick way out to say the least...

The LS4 4 piston Calipers may work for you much better Steve...They don't stick out so far...

You really want to try and stay away from front end spacers, especially if the SC400 is lowered. Creates trouble that nobody wants...

Thanks, buddies. I hope the LS calipers will fit on my rims. I've been running 1/4" spacers in the front. The tires are already a little rubbed by the fenders so no more thicker spacers. By holding the LS calipers in hands, I can tell they'll stop better than the SC. I don't understand why Toyota didn't design the calipers for the SC. Maybe cost savings? Weight? No. They knew the SC will require more stopping than the LS because it's sportier and people will drive it more crazy. :firedevil:

Huh? (sorry - long post)

OK, I think perspective is being lost here. First, the SC was the FLAGSHIP for the entire Lexus line when it was introduced. It, not the LS, was the most expensive product Toyota marketed in the US. To assume they wouldn't put the optimum brake package on the flagship model without having a REALLY good reason isn't sensible. The car doesn't just exist as a platform to carry around brakes - it needs to do a bunch of other things well, like ride comfortably, handle well, accelerate well etc. One possible clue to why the beloved LS brake "upgrade" may not be an upgrade at all is shown earlier in this thread. Unless there's a misprint, the SC rotor weighs less than HALF the LS rotor. I don't know the respective weights of the calipers, but I'm quite certain the LS calipers are also much heavier. If you compare the weights of the requisite larger wheels to 16 inch wheels, you're gonna get another shock. One of the cardinal rules of design is to minimize unsprung weight. But even more significant is to minimize unsprung ROTATING weight. Rotating weight creates dramatically higher gyroscopic forces, as well as flywheel effect, which don't do anything good and create lots of bad effects.

Additionally, bigger pads are not always better. Brake fade and loss of braking effectiveness result from gas production as pad material breaks down. Getting rid of those gaseous byproducts is what makes cross drilled and/or slotted rotors helpful in racing applications. Solid rotors and larger pads may be a good match in a heavy car that is not likely to be driven in a spirited manner (like the LS), but not necessarily in a sportier car like the SC.

Also, to continue with the skeptical theme, unless I see actual controlled braking distance measurements, I'm not convinced. First, most comparisons are between clapped-out stock systems to LS systems with new pads etc. rather than optimized stock vs. optimized LS. Second, perceived stopping power may not indicate ACTUAL stopping power. Higher initial grab may FEEL like more powerful brakes, but actual braking distances may be longer. Parking lot braking vs. mountain road braking are two really different things. Autocrossing vs. Road America also.