Stupid NU-b question about ECU programming.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Dr. X

I have a 2002 TransAM WS6 and recently bought a 98 GS400 to use as my daily driver.

Why do we not have a simple system, like for the GM cars, to scan and program our ECUs?

For my TA I bought Autotap, a cable and software that plugs straight into my OBDII port and allows me to scan, using my laptop or Palm PC, the ECU to my heart's content - realtime or logging. It's relatively cheap ($250 OR SO). Then, for another $500 I can buy LS1Edit software and reprogram my ECU at will.

Why not Lexus/Toyota?

Hey Doc,

I would say demand and supply. The demand for Lexus and especially performance is very limited and companies are not interested in low demanding products.

Toyota using proprietry parts, GM don't.
Its easy to mod something when you know what's going on inside. It is a lot more work to know what is going on in a Toyo ECU.

KDog said:
Toyota using proprietry parts, GM don't.
Its easy to mod something when you know what's going on inside. It is a lot more work to know what is going on in a Toyo ECU.
Your quote says it all, so if you don't respond I will understand why.

Nonetheless, everything I read while I was on the GM websites suggested that GM also uses proprietary code that was 'cracked' by the aftermarket tuners.

And anyway, what about just scanners? Lexus dealers have them (handheld versions). Hell, even the gas station guy who did my Mass inspection today scanned my OBDII port. Just reading the ECM shouldn't be such a big deal, should it?

hi, its abit off topic, but speed wise, how do the cars compare? ive seen a stock 98 gs400 run 14.2s all day.. i dont know how quick the TA is..

Low 13s at 105-107 stock (with the manual). It's a different animal altogether. My stock 2002 dynoed (corrected) at 335RWHP and 345lb-ft (rear wheel) when new. They are wildly underrated by GM, likely not to piss off the Corvette crowd.

With all due respect to Lextreme, this is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The cars listed cannot rival the Lexus on fit, finish, comfort, reliability, options. The Lexus lineup does not rival the performance of the domestics listed, at least in a straight line, and certainly not the price.

The Delco ECUs use parts which can be found and understood. The lexus ECUs are completely rebadged and when you try and work out which line does which it doesn't represent anything comercially available. It is doable but will take a lot more work than normal. Also the ECUs are all different, even the SC400 are different depending on year models, this can make it economically unfeasible to commence such a task as you would need to do it for each different ECU. I do beleive that some has put the effort in for the basic sc400 ECU though, but I don't have any other info.

On the other hand if the Visteon ECUs (used in our BA falcon) can be obtained easily then it may be worth pursuing. It has recently been cracked for FULL modification and it is a very advanced ECU.