Strange alternator problem

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
My alternator has an output of 14.3 volts at idle.

At 6,000rpm it is down to the high 12volt region.

As I run an Autronic system it needs to remain fairly stable across the rev range or the readings go out the window.

The alternator was checked last month and is running fine.

I thought it could be a bad earth that shows up when the injectors start calling for more power and a few other things start happening such as the thermo fans kicking in and the 2 Bosch 044's are on full song.

The battery is new so we can't blame it.

Could it be I'm just asking too much of the stock alternator?

Perhaps a new earth lead from the battery to body plus an extension of that to the chassis. I could run a dedicated power and earth feed to the Autronic as well.

Hello Rod. I have seen this a few times , alternator check out fine on the bench but check the ripple voltage and you might catch the fault. We had a subaru which had very similar faults , only solved it by changing the alternator. We can get them brand new which I would recommend for you. Jim might be able to help with a deal. Good to hear it is running. I want a ride next time I'm over, actually it would be worth the trip for that alone. Cheers

Kelvin,

After googling ripple voltage I now know what you're talking about.

I'll chat to my auto sparks as getting the alternator out is the devils own job and I don't fancy that unless I have to.

I noticd acapacitor is one way to reduce the ripple but would the alternaot like it?

Any idea what you guy's pay for a new alternator?

Alternators are around $550nz from memory. A capacitor won't do any harm but wont fix a stuffed alternator. Good earths are important too. I kind of remember someone having a 130amp alternator but can't remember who. Good luck at the sparkies. Cheers

Attachments

• DSC01757.JPG
    DSC01757.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 166
14.3V at idle seems quite good. I remembered my stock alternator only shows around 13V. I had no issue with the stock one. I then upgraded to Lextreme's 145 amp alternator and it shows around 14.5V. I'll need to check it within a week after I reinstalled the turbo. Anyway, Lextreme's 145 amp alternator is what I'd recommend. It has the same housing as stock so fitment isn't a problem.

Attachments

• that shit is heavy to lift up there.JPG
    that shit is heavy to lift up there.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 136
  • W58 gearbox mounted.JPG
    W58 gearbox mounted.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 137