Strange "ticking" noise when running

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

webbie

Ok, i've done a bit of a search and gained some info, but would like some opinions.

Here's the story. All of a sudden my car makes a ticking noise for no reason, ie have'nt changed anything, normal driving ect. I have tracked it down to the gearbox/engine interface.

I have removed the inspection plate and checked flywheel for marks and re-torqued converter bolts - all ok.

The noise is a slight ticking noise that sounds like a head of a bolt just nicking something. It is very noticable at idle (sometime and not all the time) and can be made to 'go away' with some WD40 for a short time by spraying the flex plate - but more towards rear main seal area.

I can turn the motor over by hand and replicate the noise (and marked correspoding area on flex plate through inspection hole) by rocking motor back and forward from crank shaft. Problem is, I still dont know where it is hitting.

Here's my line of thinking from research:

Starter motor not fully disengaging (would this happen all of a sudden?), but I would think it would be hitting more than one spot? Can I just space the starter motor out?

Flex plate moved? I doubt it, but can check run-out with some chalk.

Can't be engine related as it can 'go away' with WD40 sprayed on externals. Correct assumption?

I have no problems ripping the motor out or the starter motor, just would like heads up before I start either job.

Has anybody had anything like this before?

I am only too happy to answer any questions if you need more info.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Strange "ticking" noise when running.

Ok, if you've read quickly my problems above, here's what I found.

I decided that the engine needed to be removed as I wasn't certain what the problem was.

Here's what I found:

This is cracked all the way around and held on by very little metal.

Dont know if it is a concern to many people, but the scary thing is that when I first heard the noise till I removed the engine was about 4-6hours of engine running.

Who know how much longer it would of held together.