Soarer V8 Manual Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Quadcob

My son is keen in doing a manual conversion on a V8 Soarer. The clutch pedal box and master cylinder from a MkIV Supra will fit ok(anyone tried a clutch pedal box and master cylinder from a MkIII Supra or pre 91 Soarer). A W58 from N/A MkIV will bolt straight in, but he wants a R154 gearbox. Has anyone fitted this gearbox? The gearbox will bolt in OK, but from pictures I have seen the gear lever position on the W58 appears to be futher back than the gearlever position on the R154. Any help would be appreciated.

I think he might need a different bellhousing for the R154. I might be wrong, but i am sure there will many experts jump in this thread soon.

There is a bell housing available from either CRS or Dellow for the R154. It could be the gear lever position that causes the problem. If anyone has already converted thier Soarer/Lexus using a N/A MkIV Supra W58 would you be able to measure the from the front of the gearbox where the bellhousing bolts onto the gearbox to gearlever on a N/A MkIV Supra W58. I can then compare it to a R154.

Warren

The R154 shifter is the same as the W55, 57,58 etc as far as I know and they come in 3 different locations. I know the actual gear stick is the same as I have a W55 one in my R154 (The original was damaged in transit). I am pretty sure the housing the gearstick bolts into is exactly the same as well so you should have some options there. Make sure to check before investing big $$$, I have never actually swapped over the whole lot to change the position of the shifter as mine was already in the right spot for my car.

The R154 and the W58 have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing, the R154 just has a 30mm longer input shaft so I believe the rod shop just do a spacer which adapts from 1 type to the other - that's how I have seen it done anyway.

The R154 to W58 lenght is different... the R154 is longer but I am not sure by how much... and I am with the 3 different shifter position in the W58 box as per the R154

R154 tranny has a bellhousing thaat will bolt in a JZ block... 1JZGTE on JZA70 (MK3 Supra 2.5 1JZGTE)

The information I have states that the W55, W57, W58, W59 have 5 different gearlever positions- 14" -18" - 19" -20.5" and 21" measured from the front edge of the case above the input bearing to the centre of the gearlever. The updated W58 used in the N/A MkIV Supra a gear lever sits 4-5" back further than I have seen before and this is the distance I am trying to find out so I can compare it to the R154. Take a look at the the photos from the ALSC forum for a picture of the gearbox from a N/A MkIV Supra.

http://www.alsc.aus.as/messages/3/29813.html?1087537117

My comments above about the bolt pattern for the bellhousing above, I was referring to the flange at the gearbox, not the engine as the original question was related to fitting to a Soarer V8 using a CRS bellhousing and both gearboxes have the same bolt pattern at this flange.

I cannot easily measure mine as it is in the car at the moment but the one in the link is definately a lot further back. If you used this shifter along with the R154 (assuming it fits nicely) it would be about 30mm further back due to the input shaft (and hence the bellhousing) being longer as mentioned above.

If no-one else has one they can measure, I can put mine up on the Jacks and measure it on the weekend.

I have at home two W58 gearboxes(earlier type) and a R154 (is currently away being reconditioned). The R154 box is bigger alround, but not much longer if any and the gearlever position appears to be in a similar position as the w58. I also have a CRS bellhousing kit for attachment to the 1UZFE which will be used in my kit car project.
Once the bellhousing is attached to the gearbox there will be an additional 30mm, but I don't think the gearlever will be far enough back to go through the hole in the floor from what I have seen from those photos on ALSC forum thread. Once I get my gearbox back and have the bellhousing attached I will take some measurements and compare the measurement from under the car.
I was hoping there would be someone on the forum who has already fitted or attempted to fit a R154 to a Soarer/Lexus. It is a fair bit of an outlay for a R154 gearbox so it would be good to know if it is going to fit before the gearbox is purchased.

That is interresting the flange is different at the gearbox, I was sure the guy at Dellow told me they were tha same when I have mine modified but that was a while ago.

Do you know how they differ? I might have to do a bit more scoping around on this.

Had to explain shape and bolt holes!

But if you measure around the front of the box where the bellhousing would bolt to the R154 is larger than the W series of boxes.

From memory 28inches for the W and 31inches for the R (may not be 100% accurate as its just going from my memory which was a few years ago)