So how do I choose rods

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

morris

At the risk of starting another thread like the one on pistons (which I dont want). I need some help picking out some rods.

Pauter makes forged rods for the 1uz VVTI and Carrillo makes rods as well, I am assuming that the ones sold in the for sale section will work with the VVTI motor.

Can anyone offer any insight into what I should look at to choose between the two?

Right now I am at 500hp but I would like the option of moving towards 800 hp at some point in the future and I dont want the rods to be my engines weak link.

There are two choices:

ARGO or Pauter.

Carrillo doesn't make rods for our engine. We modify off the shelf carrillo to make it work. I think Argo is a great choice.

I can answer for Argo.

They advised me each rod will support 200hp and 9,000rpm.

Theoretically 1,600hp is where you start looking shaky.

Cost around $1350 Australian. Retail is $2,800 + 10% but we have some Group purchase ones still available.

I don't know who to contact for Pauter but I guess their Website would be a good start.

I have 8 sets.

A few are spoken for and the price is still the GP price.

My wife won't let me build my engine until I sell them.

I can do it but I know when to do what I'm told.

Think about there's almost $11,000.00 worth of rods sitting on the shelf!

Still enough to handle 12,800hp.

I have 8 sets.

A few are spoken for and the price is still the GP price.

My wife won't let me build my engine until I sell them.

I can do it but I know when to do what I'm told.

Think about there's almost $11,000.00 worth of rods sitting on the shelf!

Still enough to handle 12,800hp.

what are the specs on those rods? length, material etc.

I have noticed in the past that some of the products that work on the older 1uz do not neccesarily work with the Newer 1uz with VVTI, the ross pistons come to mind as one example.

Has anyone installed these rods in a 98+ 1UZ with VVTI heads?

ALL pre 98 pistons are different from the post 98 (1uzfe). However rods are the same for ALL uzfe engines (1uzfe, 1uzfe(VVTi), 2uzfe, 3uzfe) from 1990 to 2006.

David, I think what you were saying is that the rods are interchangeable between the years.

However the way it's written (or perhaps the way I read it) is that the rods are the same (ie, identical) from 1990 to 2006, and we all know that's not so; the earlier 1UZ rods are a good bit beefier than the later VVTi rods or the 2UZ or 3UZ rods, correct?

Forgive me for asking I am far from an expert on this stuff. So if the questions seem lame please bear with me.

Do the argo rods come with bolts, how much hp can the bolts handle?
Can I use the stock Lexus bearings or do I need something else?
will the argo rods work with my Ross pins?

John,

I am sorry I was referring to the rod length, small end and large end. Those three measurements are the most critical and they are identical for all UZFE. Yes, the earlier rods are little beefier.

Morris,
Argo or Pauter rods are made with exact Lexus-Toyota Specs. Therefore you can use stock size bearings. Since the rods are exact copy of the original, therefore you can use the Ross pistons too.

Thanks for all of the information guys.

Of course with this stuff there is always somethning, it looks like I blew my turbo for the second time in less than a year. So I have to look into that tomorrow, once I see where I stand with that I'll come back to the decision on the rods.

Thanks again!!!