scca racers or any road racing?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

WDoherty

I'd like to race down a nice track someday. The only way i know of doing that in the U.S. is through scca. The car i'm wanting to use is my old 77 rwd celica. It looks like i could easily get into solo racing with a 1uz conversion with cones, but i'd really like to get down some real tracks. I looked at all the classes and it seemed that the only ones that allow different engines than supplied by the manufacturer are full blown tube chassis race cars. I think they should allow converted cars. This stuff they would put my celica up against with the 20r would be integra's etc, that would blow away the ceilca b/c you have to use a mild cam, stock intake manifold etc, as the 20r is a freakin old school truck motor, that revs like a dump-truck. Any around here road race and have any ideas? Also, i think you aussies know about this, but is a steering rack conversion required for a 1uz swap? Could the stock steering with a quick ratio box be good, or is that transformation a must, i don't know if i have the technical ability to convert to rack steering with 0 bumsteer, etc.

Jake Breyck said:
oh, very nice, thank you. I'll be checking that some more. They told me on an scca forum that with the aforementioned combo i could only club race with the super touring class and that was composed of ex nascar, gt, and trans am drivers. Thoughts of doom permeated my head, but this link looks promising

these events are a lot of fun. its non compition so there is no presure but there are instructors so you can gain tons of experance. there is generally more track time in a day then you can handle. youll need to pull off the track from time to time.
but twords the end of the day more and more people drop off the track for verious reasons, so if your still at it, this would be the time to try to set a personal track time.

its well worth the 200-300$ price tag $500 or so if you factor in all the other costs. (gas, tires, hotel, maintance, food/drink ect.)

its also very hot out at these events in the summer, bring lots and lots drink, water and gatorade is the best. i bring two sets of tires, you can kill a set of R compund tires in a day if you push hard. tho dont go out there thinking you will be passing everyone, most of the people out there are very fast.

im going to try to be at one of the events in dec, ill be in japan untill then. i'll be doing a whole diffrent kind of track day over there :)

WDoherty said:
oh, very nice, thank you. I'll be checking that some more. They told me on an scca forum that with the aforementioned combo i could only club race with the super touring class and that was composed of ex nascar, gt, and trans am drivers. Thoughts of doom permeated my head, but this link looks promising

Also check out:

www.nasaproracing.com

Specifically, look at their HPDE program. I run with them out here in California, and it's great fun. Also look at their Time Trial competition series if you dig that sort of thing.