SC400 runs without Karmen Vortex meter

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

WDoherty

This suprised me. I did major work to my A/C system and had removed the airlflow and had forgotten it wasn't there. I started the car and charged the A/C system and noticed a sucking sound b/c air was just entering the plastic intake tube as i hadn't installed the air flow meter. Anyway, the car idled perfectly so that i couldn't even tell until i saw that the meter wasn't there. Does the computer have pre-programmed settings in case the meter fails, or how the hell did the car run?

Unplug the meter then try to drive the car, completely different story then.... :)

But yeah i guess it has some sort of failsafe so you can inch your way home

The AFM is used to control the injectors.
The more air it senses, the more fuel is used.

When it fails the ECU will probably go into limphome mode and base fuel on TPS and RPM

Yes this is why I need a new AFM!!!! I have been running no AFM for 3-4 days now. It actually drives fine(other than it burning rich as hell) and F*&#ing up on a WOT shift. It seems like it retards the timing or something very badly when you go WOT from 1-2 and 2-3. Anyone have a new AFM?! I actually only need the honeycomb piece inside the actual AFM itself. If anyone in the US can help PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

The 1UZ AFM is in big demand from the Supra/TTSoarer set as it's an upgrade on their AFM. You best bet would be looking outside the States.

Sorry I have no idea what an AFM is worth in the States.

If you continue to drive in limp mode the raised exhaust gas temp could melt you cats.

In limp mode the timing is retarded so the exhaust valve opens whilst the mix is stil burning. This forces burning fuel past the valves (they won't like it one bit) and down the exhaust.

I've seen it bad enough to have flames out the exhast tailpipe. Looks cool but doesn't do anything any good.

I found a AFM off a '92 JDM LS400, would this work for my '95 SC?

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
my guess is yes... but id wait for someone else to response with more confidence. You said you cant find them on ebay? I see them all the time.... seach "LS400" youll find them.