reground cams?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Jibby,

What would the benefit of US ground cams be?

Do you guys grind cams better than anyone else?

Or do you think a set of welded and reground cams would be cheaper than a set of quality new cams so therefore better because they cost less?

A set of new quality cams will always be better and last longer than a set of welded and reground cams.

Horsepower costs money. If you wants lots of power spend lots of money.

Zuffen - I am sure a set of new cams will always be better then re-ground cams......Unfortunately the costs will reflect considerably between the two and the options to buy a new set of cams are very limited here in the US based on my searches...... How bad can the re-grounds be if they are done professionally and has a good reputation like LEXTREM? ...

I am not an expert on cams but have used regrounds before in Chevy's and Pontiac's and never had any problems. . I would like to think a good set of regrinds would work just fine in let's say any of the xUZ-FE's engines coming from Lextreme...There has been posts on this subject and the conclusion was the regrinds will hold...I believe the Kelford cams are regrinds and they have a excellent track record for years and years...

However, one solid peice of hardened steel (cam) with unwelded lobes, etc.. will always be stronger and be the best option for sure....

Currently are working on a set of pre 98 cams. We are testing it with different combination to get decent hp gain. Our cams will run about $450 to $500 usd plus core and shipping. I honest don't think the cams are in the same class as comparing to the aftermarket, but for what it will do, its worth the price. I will also do a tutorial later on about changing cams without taking timing out.

i think its a good idea. I mean new cams in austrailia are around $11000 u.s.d, plus shipping across the world, plus huge tax on export/import. These will be a 1/3 the cost and Kelfords themselves offered regrinds for the 1uz, so if they are done right why not. Not everybody can afford $1500 cams on a $750 engine.

Oh yeah, the Kelford Cams are bank...Way to rich for my blood and I had to pass on them because of the high price..... After install and everything you are probably looking at closer to $2000...40-45hp at topend for $2000, I don't think so....I would rather change out my entire exhaust system and then some, maybe even a Torque Converter, intake and ECU, or just buy a Turbo setup for that amount of money... Heck, I would rather get a new paint job and new leather interior for that much money... Wouldn't you guys agree?

Let's get the facts straight.

At today's exchange rates Kelford cams will cost US$1,143.00. Postage could add $100.00.

Import duty shouldn't exist under the FTA (Free Trade Agreement) so they are a long way from $2,000.00

Cams are made of porous cast iron as the microscpic pores of the iron hold oil and ensure they are correctly lubricated. You can't take a piece of iron bar and machine it into a cam as it will suffer very rapid wear due to insufficient lubrication.

THe welded section of a re-worked cam has adifferent hardness and poracity to the unaltered part of the cam.

Yes re-worked cams work and last along time but why put less than perfect cams into an engine that will cost well over US$12,000 or AUSSIE$16,000 to build. What if one suffers a breakdown in the surface and fills your engine with iron fillings? A $750.00 engine is only a $750.00 engine until you start looking for horsepower.

I'll use my Kelford cams as I know they are as good as I can get.

Rod, you are mistaken the shipping costs of those cams to the US were $300, I checked into it when I almost bought a set....That $2000 price was including installation...

Attachments

• SC400_LCD-1.JPG
    SC400_LCD-1.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 2
  • SC400_LCD-2.JPG
    SC400_LCD-2.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
  • temp_high.jpg
    temp_high.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 4
  • temp_low.jpg
    temp_low.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2
1100USD for a set of 4 new cams is cheap, or "in the price"

never forget you're not tuning a 350cid Chevy small bloc.

1500$ cnd for 45HP i'd take a set.

but again, low-end torque will suffer. I think someone should buy a T.C. before buying cams, or headders + cams + stock T.C. = very very slow launches!!!

then again, is it 40HP gain on a stock engine stock air intake stock exausth? or 40HP on a fully built engine with more compression, spark advance, headders and everything else. That's why i don,t like buying N/A parts, you never know what you need to get the results stated.