Rebuild advice wanted

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ernie

Hi all

Just in the middle of a project at the moment and no rush on this yet.
A recent track day has thrown up a little point.

When finished the car will be mainly for street use with a few track days and a 100 shot of NOS now and again.

With the availability of parts in Ireland I want to rebuild a spare engine with reliability and some high revs capability in mind.
Nearly had an engine failure at the start of the track day, just a rocker stud came loose luckily I heard it rattling and stopped.
Redlining a 30 year old ohc engine, fun, but if I pay for a full day I want the full day.

I am an experienced mechanic and can handle a full rebuild but I am new to the 1uz engine and looking for part specific advice.I know most of the parts will have to be imported (probably from the U.S )but I want long term reliability not any great increase in power.
Engine is from 96 ls400 no vvti
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Ernie, these engines are so cheap it really doesn't pay to rebuild one if you're only doing a mild tune with it. Especially if you're having to import parts....

If it blows, just buy another pulled motor for $500-$1000, plug it in & go.

If you're going full race, and/or want 8500 RPM out of it, then it's a different story.

BTW, early rods (< 95) are beefier and will hold up against the NOS and revs better than your '96 rods.

Over here I can source a complete car for about 500 or 600 euros with a bit of searching and patience.
I intend to just update the reliability as I don't want a days racing ruined (it's a maybe twice a year treat for me at the moment) but no-one would put it past me to bring a spare engine with me :D to the race track.
At the moment i'm thinking, save the pennies and then rods, bearings and bolts from Lextreme.
Just take it from there really.

You're a better man than me to think of changing an engine at a racetrack and still get to use your days racing.