Rally Raid Stock 1UZ with a CT26 Turbo!!??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Rawal4x4

Though its probably been discussed a million times here, but just wanted to ask the question here because I am thinking about taking a stock 1UZ and putting on a CT26 turbo from a 1HDFT (4200cc 6 cyl Turbo diesel) Land Cruiser. The vehicle is an FJ40 which we use for desert rally raid in Pakistan. Its got a decent sized radiator on along with engine oil coolers and runs a manual transmission.

What sort of HP/torque gains can we expect with the stock motor running low boost ( I would think about 5 psi). Key concern being that we put a lot of load onto the engine running low tire pressures on big tires in deep sand along with 4wd on a heavy Landcruiser drivetrain. Its important for the vehicle to be reliable though a little more torque is all we are looking for at this stage.

Two specific questions would be if we need to run an intercooler and if the stock water pump can drive dual radiators. Any thoughts/comments/feedback would be helpful and welcome!

X2 go ok, speaking from personal experience, but just the one is a pointless exercise.

There are much better options though, the CT26 is quite large and there are physically smaller factory options that will deliver similar or better performance. The later gen WRX turbos spring to mind...physically tiny but 2 will support 300rwkw on a UZ easy enough.

X2 go ok, speaking from personal experience, but just the one is a pointless exercise.

There are much better options though, the CT26 is quite large and there are physically smaller factory options that will deliver similar or better performance. The later gen WRX turbos spring to mind...physically tiny but 2 will support 300rwkw on a UZ easy enough.

the 1HD diesel CT-26's are TINY half the size of a 7M-GTE one, you would need four! just stick a GTX35 on it if you want response... thats what i'm planning on doing...

The prime consideration here is budget and availability in the second hand market. Yes it's more tricky when you tie down one hand at your back!.

I will explore alternatives but if its probably one HD CT26 or 1/2 jz supra twin turbos that should be doable for us. We don't need too much power at this stage but a bit of a torque kick while maintaining reliability on heavy abuse is what's we looking for.

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity how would the single HD 26 behave if we plumb it on right? Good for the low end only or will it explode. BTW I have people smarter than me doing the fabrication and install and I am quite slow when it comes to forced induction so please do bear with me here.

It will be shit...it will surge like mad and I suspect be completely I driveable. It's a small factory turbo designed for a 2 litre supporting 155kw. You have a 4 litre already making 192kw....do the maths ;)

The 2JZ turbos are a better option but will have their own problems.

What you want is x2 2litre based factory turbos or a big single from a diesel if you are seriously budget contrained

Not sure if we are talking about the same ct26. Its on a 4200cc diesel turbo 6 cyl and doesn't look small though I don't know the AR on it.

Just to clarify desert sand racing as far as I understand needs torque and a flat torque curve as low as possible. Our vehicle weighs about 2000 kgs in race trim all loaded and has a lot of drivetrain loss with 4x4 transfer case running 9.5 inch Toyota diffs. The 1uz only falls short holding third gear in the 2500 - 4500 rpm range and I felt that the ct26 which gets the 1 hd 4200cc Td to full torque at 1800 rpm would work. I am not sure how it would behave above 5500rpm but I think it could work as long as it does not explode.

Another option is a combo of a ct26 on one bank with a ct20 (from a 2LT 2400cc turbo diesel) on the other bank. Would need some fancy valving I am told to keep turbos fighting each other, but may still be doable. Keeping two turbos cool in the desert gives me hot shivers though....

Hmm yeah not the CT26 I am familiar with which is from the 3STGE or with a slightly bigger comp housing the 7MGTE.

Either way, what power does that diesel make? Prob 120kw or there abouts? Still doesn't sound like it'll work on a 4 litre V8 eh? ;)

Thanks for the commentss! So two CT26 (47 trim not the 1HD 43s) worked well on the 1UZ.

So if we use two 43 trim CT26s (I believe that is what the 1HD dimensions are), one on each bank, it should give us a decent torque kick in the low end (2500-4000 rpm). Correct??

Is it right to assume the top end (4000-6000 rpm) be more or less like a stock 1UZ or will there be issues?

Once again, thanks for the feedback!

you really don't need all that down low for boosting the 1uz, it needs that power from the turbos up top, and if you need more power down low (which you won't) then do it with cams.