Questions about the 1uz rods?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Zuffen said:
R-Jay,

You had better bring that thing along to the Sydney Meet in December.

Very interested in anything that can handle that sort of grunt.

Rod, you should already know it's a strong box being a Getrag.... Hollingers are tough as nails also...

the v160 is the supra 6spd box... been known to handle in excess of 800rwhp on the street without problems... heaps of the guys on the supraforums sites are running big numbers with the standard 6spd box...

before you go running out to find one of these babies, just gotta let you know they go from between $3000-$4500 second hand... add to that a good clutch setup that can handle that much power.. probably another $600 for single plate.... and endless amounts for twin and triple plate setups...

anyhow, i cant bring out the 1uz project in dec because it just wont be anywhere near ready... and before anyone says tow it, it aint happenening as it will be in the workshop being resprayed... but you guys can check out my rotor.

The cost of the v160 doesn't scare me. My main problem is any gearbox I use has to be adapeted both ends!

I need to adapt it to the engine and a Rover transfer case. No easy task.

I will look into the v160 as I have supply lines from Europe and the US. So getting one is not that hard. Fitting it is the hard bit.

Bring your rotor as I'm an old rotor fan having done a rotor swap in 1970! Probably before you were born! I'll be the old short bald grey headed guy at the meet with the white 4x4.

Zuffen said:
Bring your rotor as I'm an old rotor fan having done a rotor swap in 1970! Probably before you were born! I'll be the old short bald grey headed guy at the meet with the white 4x4.

hehe... im sure you wont be too hard to find..... i'll be in a blue toyota ae86 sprinter (series 5 13b turbo conversion)... look for a fat asian guy in a hat... that's right... i'm a fat asian guy, hehehe....

Call me crazy but the 1uz rod i have looks bigger than what you have pictured. I tool some quick measurments of the con rod i have here.

Profile width: .480"
Face width(smallest measured near small end): .866" -a
Face width(biggest measured near big end): 1.420" -b
Beam width(biggest measured near big end)1.092" -c

roda.JPG

rodb.JPG

rodc.JPG

Anyone know if the 1UZ VVTi rods are weaker than the earlier 1UZFE rods?
Also how do both compare to the 3UZ rods?

As an example the 1JZGTTE VVTi's are weaker than the normal 1JZGTTE rods.

i'm still not convinced that they look weak. lightweight = cheap horsepower and less load. if the piston weighs stuff all, why do you need a beefy rod to carry it?

comparing rods from one engine to another is ludicrous. in the third pic posted you can see how much of the VG30 rod is on contact with the crank, versus the 1UZ with hardly any at all. 2 engines with 2 different designs. the VG30 doesn't have crossbolted mains caps either, which would stabilise the crank and eliminate crank 'drift', which can bend rods ever so slightly (and snap them at high revs).

maybe the VG has thicker rods to compensate for this - or any number of shortcomings this engine has.

the power numbers the 1UZ can produce without opening it up is testament enough to it's strength.