Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Great news! I did a real test drive today. I drove the car for a few miles while Scott did some base tuning. He got into the heart of the MAP, and accomplished some great tuning. We made some good progress today. I did not make a video, but trust me, one will be made soon.

I will be working a lot on the car this weekend.

I do have some pics to post so you can see that my car was indeed out of the garage.

SCTT3.jpg

SCTT1.jpg

SCTT2.jpg

SCTT4.jpg

SCTT5.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
Good to see this Ryan! I was beginning to think it was going to be a garage queen the rest of its life (like a certain Supra that I know very well)

Can't wait to hear your driving impressions; any cooling issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see this Ryan! I was beginning to think it was going to be a garage queen the rest of its life (like a certain Supra that I know very well)

Can't wait to hear your driving impressions; any cooling issues?

I certainly understand that Cribb. As a matter of fact, yes, but no...I had not installed the radiator overflow yet (I have to make a custom bracket), so I capped off the small tube coming off the throttle body housing, and the system blew the cap off and spewed some radiator fluid...But engine temps never went above normal, so that was good. Leaned out the fuel MAP somewhat as it was still running rich. So all went well, but I need to complete the overflow installation before I drive it again.

Car drove exceptionally smooth...It was quiet, and really felt like stock. I did not get down on it as that was not the time to do so, but as I acclerated the V8 sounded really nice :D...I am looking forward to a much more spirited drive very soon...:D

Ryan

No license plate. No hood. No bumper. Can I see your driver license, please? I'm giving you a big ticket..LOL. :p That's a major progress and it's nice to hear about it.

So close!

BTW, what happened to the iForged?

Getting everything else completed, then I will switch to the iForged wheels.

No license plate. No hood. No bumper. Can I see your driver license, please? I'm giving you a big ticket..LOL. :p That's a major progress and it's nice to hear about it.

Ain't it great?!! Thanks John and Steve.

Ryan

Last edited:
BTW, John Cribb or anyone else that wishes to chime in...If you look at the feed tube that comes off the thermostat housing and points forward, it used to connect to the stock overflow reservoir. Where would you all plumb this now? I am thinking back into the bottom of the radiator, but I have not decided the best way yet.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan, that tube doesn't appear on the schematic for the later models. My guess is it's either:

1) A line to ensure the pump always has flooded suction, or

2) A line for deaeration, to be used with that plug on top of the inlet housing.

John,

Here is a pic from a member on CL that clearly shows the tube coming off the thermostat housing, and connecting to the bottom of the reservoir:

185506d1284086312-coolant-reservoir-tube-help-picture2.jpg

Ryan

My SC still has that small tube connecting from the thermostat to the bottom of the reservoir. I'm not sure what it does, but I keep it. If you notice, that tube seems to be behind the thermostat (closer to the engine), so I guess it gets the coolant before the thermostat and feeds the reservoir.

Ryan, here's the schematic of the old cooling system showing your line:

OldSchema.png

And under the description of the reservoir, you can see Lexus' caution note, where they mention deaerating the system by using that plug on top of the inlet housing:

Oldschema1.png

Then here is the schematic for the later cars (VVTi), and that line is gone, and I'll bet that plug for deaerating the system is gone too on the inlet housing? Anyone with a VVTi motor want to confirm?

NewSchema.png

So I think the purpose of that line is to allow coolant to flow into the inlet housing when the system is being deaerated via that plug. Why Lexus eliminated it on the later motors is anyone's guess. Cost cutting?

How about into the overflow tank that you will soon be installing?

I don't think so, John. I believe I should connect the overflow tube from the top of the radiator to my overflow bottle. I believe I should cap that one off permanently, as Scott Marshall ddi on his 98 SC400, and he had no issues.

If you know something else I need to know, John, please speak up.

My SC still has that small tube connecting from the thermostat to the bottom of the reservoir. I'm not sure what it does, but I keep it. If you notice, that tube seems to be behind the thermostat (closer to the engine), so I guess it gets the coolant before the thermostat and feeds the reservoir.

It seems to aerate the system, as John Cribb thinks. I don't think it is necessary though, since Lexus later removed it, and I am not sure if they came up with a different way to address it, or just eliminated it.

Ryan, here's the schematic of the old cooling system showing your line:

OldSchema.png

And under the description of the reservoir, you can see Lexus' caution note, where they mention deaerating the system by using that plug on top of the inlet housing:

Oldschema1.png

Then here is the schematic for the later cars (VVTi), and that line is gone, and I'll bet that plug for deaerating the system is gone too on the inlet housing? Anyone with a VVTi motor want to confirm?

NewSchema.png

So I think the purpose of that line is to allow coolant to flow into the inlet housing when the system is being deaerated via that plug. Why Lexus eliminated it on the later motors is anyone's guess. Cost cutting?

John, it seems that perhaps it is not a necessary item? But I am not sure.

Ryan

Here are a few crappy cell phone pics of my headlights installed with my hood, and bumper cover. Please note that I did not permamently install the hood, bumper cover, or my lights. this is just to get an accurate look at the whole set up before we finalize the lights and glue them together. I like the way they look. They make my car look like it is all business...I like that. I will try to get a few better pics up tomorrow, with more sun light.

HL4-1.jpg

HL6.jpg

HL5-1.jpg

HL2-1.jpg

HL1-2.jpg

Ryan

My Relentless Pursuit of Perfection...

Wow, super clean Ryan! Suggest you think about 3M Clear Bra on the front.

Just had my son's black car done with that after I had the car resprayed. Awesome stuff. The front bumper was done, fenders & hood up to around 20" from the bumper, side mirrors, and the door cups (where you always find scratches from the wife's nails or jewelry) and the pillars. It does leave lines, but they're not nearly as bad as the scratches and rock dings that it protects from.

Im really feeling the db9 hood vents and the dual projector headlights. Double thumbs up.

Thanks, SPF! I was surely feeling them as well. It all fits my plan from the beginning...A clean and simple redesign of the original...Modernized just a bit, and powerized quite a bit...:D

Wow, super clean Ryan! Suggest you think about 3M Clear Bra on the front.

Just had my son's black car done with that after I had the car resprayed. Awesome stuff. The front bumper was done, fenders & hood up to around 20" from the bumper, side mirrors, and the door cups (where you always find scratches from the wife's nails or jewelry) and the pillars. It does leave lines, but they're not nearly as bad as the scratches and rock dings that it protects from.

Thanks John! I love the clean and mean look. Just what I was planning. Thanks for the 3M suggestion...It is already in my plan. Whole front of the car, all the lights, etc.

What do you guys think? Add a grill to protect the FMIC, or leave it bare-ass naked?

Ryan