Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thanks Steve. I see how you did it. Are you still running your MAF?

I have posted a pic of my IAC and how it is plumbed into the Charge Air Tube. I don't see that this would present a problem.

enginebaycompleteeditedIAC.jpg

Ryan

I don't see any problem with your setup. The IAC still gets the air from before the TB.

I still have the MAF connected. The tuner said I don't need the MAF. He uses the AEM MAP sensor connecting to the AEM EMS and get the air source from inside intake manifold. However, I'm not really sure if disconnecting the MAF will cause any problem. And I never tried to take it off, because I'm too lazy to fabricate another pipe for that section.

Thanks Steve. Some have suggested that the IAC may not be able to handle the boost, but I do not believe this to be a problem. First of all, boost should take the least path of resistance which is the much bigger charge air tube running into the TB. Next, there is no boost when the valve is opened, so no isues there as well. I don't see how this can be a problem. Anyone want to speak up, please do so.

Thanks,

Ryan

No problem Ryan. I don't think it'll be any problem since I'm running 15 psi and that's not low boost. From what I understand, the IAC is used to control idle and it closes at high RPM.

Agreed Steve. I understand it is a servo motor, and that it is very heavy duty. I also believe the valve is a rotating type that should be able to handle quite a bit of boost...

Ryan

What kind of exhaust wrap are you guys using? I have been eyeing the DEI Titanium wrap. I may also look into fabricating some heat shields made out of sheet aluminum. I have not decided yet. I know that the double ceramic coat is still not enough to keep from melting any plastics that are within close proximity of the manifolds and down pipe. I just want function and form, you know?

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
Ryan, I know the IAC's can withstand boost on their backsides (that doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean), but I don't know about their inlets.....

From what I remember about taking an IAC apart years ago, it's a softseated valve, so it should seal off from either direction. Try it & see, and if it doesn't work, you can always change to the little K&N filter like the rest of us!

I'd be looking for signs like an unstable idle, or an unnaturally high idle as indications maybe the valve has been "blown" by the boost.

What kind of exhaust wrap are you guys using? I have been eyeing the DEI Titanium wrap. I may also look into fabricating some heat shields made out of sheet aluminum. I have not decided yet. I know that the double ceramic coat is still not enough to keep from melting any plastics that are within close proximity of the manifolds and down pipe. I just want function and form, you know?

Thanks,

Ryan
I'm not using any wrapping of any kind because I don't have room for it. I just have everything ceramic coated inside out. On the turbo side, I made a heat shield out of aluminum sheet, so that I can bend it easily into shape. But if you can, stainless steel sheet is better because it's stronger than aluminum. You can also weld stainless steel sheet to make it into any good looking shield as well.

Before you start boosting crazily, I'd like to mention that you should have an oil restrictor for each turbo. I kept blowing turbo seals for 3 times before, but it's now running so good with the oil restrictor under hard boost for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, I, too, double ceramic coated my manifolds, and down pipe both inside and out. Still, heat is an issue because I have many meltable components very close to them. I don't want to wrap them, but I must deal with the heat.

Ryan

I'm not using any wrapping of any kind because I don't have room for it. I just have everything ceramic coated inside out. On the turbo side, I made a heat shield out of aluminum sheet, so that I can bend it easily into shape. But if you can, stainless steel sheet is better because it's stronger than aluminum. You can also weld stainless steel sheet to make it into any good looking shield as well.

Before you start boosting crazily, I'd like to mention that you should have an oil restrictor for each turbo. I kept blowing turbo seals for 3 times before, but it's now running so good with the oil restrictor under hard boost for a very long time.

Last edited:
I got sick over the weekend with a damned intestinal infection. Took me out for several days. I ended up not getting as much done. Anway, I am beginning to feel a little better today, so I hope I can work on my car a lot this weekend.

My lights got delayed...My fabricator was assembling them back together and decided to sand the back edges of the BMW plastic Xenon shrouds a bit to smooth them out and to clean them up a bit. Unfortunately, the chrome is so fragile on the shrouds that the chrome wiped right off on one of them. So, he had to stop and wait for me to find another set. I did, and just got them in the mail today. So, they will be trimmed up tomorrow, and then assembled and completed. Set backs...something always happens...

In fact, I had not mentioned it yet, but when Dan and I were working on the water/meth installation, we had to contact the Aquamist distributor because we had a few questions about the wiring diagram. The distributor (KC Saab), asked me the impedance of my injectors, and while I thought they were low impedance, I was not 100% sure from memory. So I went to contact the owner of WolfKatz Engineering, the company that designed my rails and provided me with my injectors. I was unable to reach him so I remembered that he had an injector drop shipped directly to me fromhis supplier when I had the wiring mishap that burned up one of my injectors. When I contacted them, I asked some additional questions and found that they had sent me the wrong injector...It was 110 cc less flow than it was supposed to be. This would have been a big potential problem when I went to tune WOT on the dyno. Luckily, I found out the problem, and ordered the correct injector, and they shipped it out to me immediately. So, I like to say that the "Car gods" were watching over me...:p. Anyway, I plan to change that injector this weekend before I drive my car on the road.

Ryan

Last edited:
Just finished up several hours on my car...door panels and window trim is installed. Unfortunately, the windows are only going down partially, which means my paint and body guys did not install the windows correctly, so I will have to take the body panels back off...Damn!! Oh well, I should have checked that first, chalk up another lesson learned...re-check not only the serious performance items, but also the basic items too.

I may or may not work on that tomorrow. I will be completing a couple of minor items in the engine bay so I can drive my car tomorrow, or should I say today?

Car looks great, and of course, the black interior is the best, IMHO. Really looks like a car again.

This thread will pretty much end with me driving the car on the road with the partial tune, and then Stage II, V2 will commence on the day of my successful full tune and dyno. V2 will be the thread that merely shows the completed version of this project. Stage III will be next year, if I decide it is necessary to add more agressive cams. But I will probably be quite content for a while, especially since I am searching for the right deal on a Black/Black LS460 for a daily driver. The SC has too much in it to drive every day...So I want a bad ass LS for work and daily tooling around town...plus, they move well, and are serious comfort and luxury...

Ryan

Ryan, we both know a project never ends :D But if you want to finish this thread, may I suggest two black stripes fading into the distance, and a dyno sheet....

Hey gang, first test drive...Success!! Kind of...There was air in the power steering system, and it was almost 10 pm, plus the damned parking brakes need adjusting because they are semi locking onto the rear wheels. So, I only drove it down the driveway and back. Short distance, but I have a very long driveway...Ask Dave Penton, and he will confirm it.
The motor started right up and idled down perfectly, it did not stutter, strain, or skip a beat. It sounded great. The transmission shifted well, I was quite pleased. I will adjust the parking brakes this week, and bleed the power steering system, and then I will do a drive down the highway. I will make a video of that. If all goes well, I will mount the hood and the front bumper cover.
I am excited...finally, the car moved beyond the confines of my garage, and it has gotten off the stilts (jack stands) that it has sat on for approximately 2 years now.
The big tune and dyno...Hopefully, the end of this month.
Here is a pic of the way Lexus should have built the car...zip ties and all, plus mickey mousing the fog lights for headlights...joke ;):cool:
ZIPTIECITY.jpg
Ryan

Last edited:
That's a big step, isn't it? Nice to hear it rode good. ;)

Yes it is...Motor is strong...You can just tell. The feel is correct and stout. Runs very smoothly.

The Power steering and parking brakes are easy fixes...

I will drive it quite a bit over this coming weekend, if the weather is good.

Ryan

Last edited:
Well, I only had last Saturday to work on the car...And not all day due to family commitments. So, I did manage to replace the wrong injector with the correct one, but it took many hours, as I had to remove the throttle body, charge tube, and several other items to do so. I will replace the O-Ring on the Power Steering reservoir this week, and finish up on the e-brake adjustment and get this thing on the road.
I stopped by and saw my headlights today...They are completed. They look Badass. I am quite pleased with them. The goal was to make a light that looked OEM, incorporated high quality HID, and still remainered OEM compliant...I managed to do so. Lety me know your thoughts...I will take better quality pics later, and soon some pics with them on the car. But not before the reveal.
No lens cover Passenger side:
Complete5.jpg
No lens cover Driver side:
Complete2.jpg
With clear Supermade lens cover Passenger side:
Complete1.jpg
With clear Supermade lens cover and LED's on Driver side:
Complete4.jpg

Ryan

Last edited: