Project Thread Project SC400TT

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
dude dont get bent out of shape, I was simply stating my opinion and my experience, I wasnt trying to single you out or insult you or your car.

Not bent out of shape at all Morris, your comment is just at odds with reality and warrented the response. Twins are most definitely preferred for a V configuration and the only reasons you wouldn't use them are cost or space.

As i said though (and this is for you again Jibbby :rolleyes: ) the variables are so many and varied for a street car that either setup will do an adequate job. If you can fit twins and have the dollars then do that as a preference but if you can't then a single will also produce an excellent result.

I doubt any single setup on this forum produces as fat a torque curve as my twins and still has as strong a top end. My twins are rated for 900hp and will hit 12psi boost at 2500rpm, show me a single that will do that :)

Jibby, I appreciate your candor...But to call Twins a crock, is a bit far stepped...

You have asked a good question. Twin Turbos will tend to deliver more boost at lower engine speeds and a single will tend to move more air at the top end.

I did a search on the web, and it appears to be a consistent debate as to which is better. I believe the best answer is not twin or single, but how well the whole turbo system is designed and matched with the engine it is mated to. A properly balanced system seems to be best.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Other setups, most notably in V-type engines, utilize two identically-sized but smaller turbos, each fed by a separate set of exhaust streams from the engine. The two smaller turbos produce the same (or more) aggregate amount of boost as a larger single turbo, but since they are smaller they reach their optimal RPM, and thus optimal boost delivery, faster. Such an arrangement of turbos is typically referred to as a parallel twin-turbo system."

From my limited experience, and the general consensus I am concluding that twins will probably get you to your power band quicker, and with less boost. So, perhaps twins are a bit more efficient, in that regard.

The debate will rage on...:slomo:

Ryan

So basically twins are a crock and basically overkill on a street rod..More piping, money, more headaches, which means more that can go wrong, more intercooling needed, etc... And in the end it probably won't out perform a good fitted single turbo by much if any at all.....

So why would anyone in their right mind go for twins on a street rod? Ryan? Anyone? For bling bling and just because I can maybe? Fitment problems...

I thought they might compliment each side of the motor better and offer a broader band of power..More lowend and topend power throughout with the twins...I guess that line of thinking is a complete farse.

Well Ryan no offense as I am very impressed with what you have done with your ride... You're also a swell guy too needless to say...

I just am trying to rationalize in my head why someone like you and or Justen would choose to go with twin turbo setups as apposed to singles.....As it seems a properly fitted single turbo would first off adequately fit under both of your hoods and also appears to be equally effecient when complimented on the V8 motors.....Not a big difference from my reads but some according to Justens comments which seem very valid.......

This was the reason I posted about Steve's single turbo setup and then trying to compare it too your (Ryan's) twin setup...Is there infact a noticeable difference between the two?... From what I am gathering there is slight band power advandange with the twins but not big enough to make a change difference or justify spending the extra money and experencing more problems.....

That is it, not putting down either turbo setup, just trying to get facts and opinions on the two...

That TT motor looks awefully mean there Lex buddy... But again will that twin setup clearly outperform a properly fitted single turbo on that same motor? Does it really make a difference....

Looks awesome though...I am sure it will perform well too..

A T04Z / .84 A.R or .96 A.R will perform admirably on the Lex V8.. If they spool nice on a sohc 4.0 Ford 6 ? They would on a 4.0 V8 ...
The plumbing is much the same. Either crossover for cold side for twins or crossover hot side for single... Depending on intercooler design....

Here are a few more pics of the install:

Installed the Baffle:
Baffle_installed_R.jpg

Installed the lower oil pan:
OP_R1.jpg

Another:
OP_R2.jpg

Installed the Black Powder coated Lower Intake:
LI_R2.jpg

Another:
LI_R1.jpg

More to come...

Ryan

Alright those lower intakes are clean and smooth inside and out just like mine! You have a very generous engine porting dude. Looking forward to seeing what will be done with the upper. Looks great! I almost didn't coat my lower but I'm glad I did.

Alright those lower intakes are clean and smooth inside and out just like mine! You have a very generous engine porting dude. Looking forward to seeing what will be done with the upper. Looks great! I almost didn't coat my lower but I'm glad I did.

Hey Smitherz, actually, those intake ports are scuffed up quite a bit on the inside so that wwe can increase the turbulence for optimal fuel/air mix.

Thanks, Scott. I do try...

Ryan