Probably A Silly Question About SC300/400's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

wantahertzdonut

How close is the relation between the SC300/400's and 4th gen Supras? I assumed the cars had different roots but I've heard conflicting stories saying they're very similar. They resemble each other enough in regards to appearance but other than that and the engine (in the 300 anyway) I'd still guess they are a world apart.

I ask because a 5sp SC300 went up for sale nearby for $4500 obo with 138k miles and malfunctioned a/c. I'd like a RWD daily driver with a manual transmission and the similarity question got me interested.

So are the cars close sibblings or very distant relatives? And in either case, how good do these cars hold up under daily driving abuse? Are they practical? Economical?

SC400 - V8 motor dual over head cams 4.0 liter motor (automatic tranny only)
SC300 - Inline six banger (manual or automatic trannies)

The only differences that I am aware of the Sc300's come with the option of a manual tranny... Also the Sc400's have suttle differences, such as the rear spindles and suspension arms are a little beefer then the Sc300's...

The Supra TT has a fine inline dual over head design engine, one of Toyota's finest motors which most people look to swap into the SC3's and SC4's because they can handle big horsepower and the motor flows well with turbo's...

The SC300, SC400, and Supra's 1993 and newer all share identical subframes... So just about everything is interchangeable between the three cars...

The Supra's are all around built for performance while the SC's are more built for luxury...Example the Supra's come with coilover suspension, 4 piston brake calipers, etc...

I can go on about all three cars but don't want to create a story..That's the basics...

Ok that answers my question. I know the 300/400's are very similar other than maybe the drivetrain being stronger for the 400 and maybe the suspension being beefier too, it was the SC/Supra relationship I was more curious about.

You mention the Supra's coilover suspension, what does the SC have?

The SC's come with springs, struts and shocks......Which is designed more for luxury rather then performance... That is why the SC400's in stock form don't road handle all that well, and the stock Supra's handle quite well indeed considering how much both cars weigh....

There are several threads on this forum that show all parts that are interchangeable...Gotta use the search function bro...

Like I said above, the 4th gen. supra's and SC400's share identical subframes so mostly all the bolt patterns are identical for swapping parts... Many SC400 owners like myself have swapped in Supra TT parts such as the rear torsen LSD differentials, front brake callipers, rotors, LCA arms, etc...You can swap in the lighter weight supra's seats, coilovers, rims, motors, suspension parts, you name it.....just about everything...

I know for me the (automatic Supra tt) torsen LSD differential (complete with pumpkin) and Lower control arms all bolted right up to my SC400 with no alterations or problems at all.... The brakes were the same, I just needed the larger rim offset to go along with the Supra 4 piston big brakes... Even a member called Xirforever is currently swapping in the 6 speed Manual Supra V160 tranny and clutch assembly in his SC400...

So to answer your question they are very simular in relationship but one is built for luxury and the other is performance...

Although I own a MKIV Supra, not an SC300, I thought the suspensions were the same in both cars. I can't speak for the SC300, but MKIV Supras have a SLA double wishbone setup, front and rear and use coils over shocks.

I do know that Tein give the same part number for their SC300 coilovers as for the Supras, which leads me to believe the SC300 is probably not a MacPherson strut based suspension, but is a double wishbone setup, just like the Supra.... If this is true, then I would find it odd that an even heavier car like the SC400 would go with a MacPherson strut system, if its lighter brother, the SC300 had wishbones.

If someone who owns an SC300 or SC400, and knows the difference between a MacPherson strut and a wishbone suspension, would have a look under his car, it would clarify this point.

Here is a MacPherson strut (from Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mcpherson_strut.jpg

And here is a double wishbone setup, although it's not a very good shot(again from Wikipedia):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Suspension.jpg

Here's a better shot of a front wishbone setup from a Tornado GT40 replica (hope this pic displays - it has an odd size and aspect ratio)

Did I mention struts? I am sorry just shocks and springs on SC's... Thanks again for the correction cribbs... That was a mindless typo more then anything.... I have been dealing with my ES300 suspension the last couple of days and must have stuts on my mind...:boggled:

That answers all my questions and confirms my suspicions. I would be curious to see how the 6sp conversion is going into the SC400 Jibby mentioned. I'd love to have a manual transmission SC400.

The bummer is the SC300 I found has already been sold, so I guess it's back to car hunting.