Newby with a properly silly question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MiLo

Hello All,

I'm new to the UZ engines, but have settled on using one for a swap into my MGB. (250+ bhp in a 2000 lb car? I think so!) Now for the silly question. I have to get said MGB from the west coast of British Columbia to east-central Missouri, and renting a Uhaul truck costs the proverbial arm and leg. So, If a hitch were fitted, could an SC400, haul the MGB over that distance?

I'm sure the engine is strong enough, but how about the transmission, drive train, brakes, and rear suspension? The Uhaul car hauler trailers have had a fairly neutral balance when I've used them before.

Thanks,

MiLo

Hello All,

I'm new to the UZ engines, but have settled on using one for a swap into my MGB. (250+ bhp in a 2000 lb car? I think so!) Now for the silly question. I have to get said MGB from the west coast of British Columbia to east-central Missouri, and renting a Uhaul truck costs the proverbial arm and leg. So, If a hitch were fitted, could an SC400, haul the MGB over that distance?

I'm sure the engine is strong enough, but how about the transmission, drive train, brakes, and rear suspension? The Uhaul car hauler trailers have had a fairly neutral balance when I've used them before.

Thanks,

MiLo

disconnect driveshaft on mgb and flat-tow (tow bar) and you shouldnt have a problem

It will do it easy !!! Take it easy ..
If auto etc is in good condition to start with..
A service before any long trip helps big time
if it hasn't been done recently...
A few extra Lb in your tyres ..
We towed horse floats all over NZ often with two
horses and gear etc..
I was assumimg you hired a car trailer ??
Good question not silly...

Thanks! I'll definitely be hiring a trailer, and the tow bar is a good idea. It would certainly weigh and cost less than the "car hauler" and wouldn't place the same weight on the tow vehicle.

XE8tt, were you using the engine in an SC or LS? Because that would be pretty cool to see! :D

I will do so. Is there a particular hitch that you recommend? I haven't looked around the web yet, so I don't know if there is one that will just bolt on to the frame. That's the next bit of research.

Hello Zuffen, Thanks for the link! It's given some idea of what to watch out for. I've been looking around for a report of such a swap. A couple of guys on MGExperience are dropping a 1UZ in a friends TR7, but no one has done a B swap, that I've seen.

I'm not too worried about modifying the engine bay for a 1UZ. I have a '72, so the firewall has to have some corners cut, regardless of the V8. It's just a matter of where and how much. The headers (to be built) will be dumped through the fenders, into the tire wells. A lot of V8 swaps do this to make more room and to keep the engine bay cooler. Two friends and I will be building a new, lighter front suspension crossmember, so it can be fit around the sump. Very little of the car outside of the body will remain original, and the body will be subtly reinforced.

The lovely thing about these cars is you can fit practically anything in them if you're not afraid of cutting a bit, and since I'm in the midst of a full restoration, the engine bay modifications will only a small, if careful, percent of the total body work. (after replacing the sills, anything looks possible!) :D

The thing that worries me most is the wiring, but I'm a quick study and my cousin (one of the guys helping with the Xmember) is a real tech wiz.

It will be quite a while before the car is done enough to facilitate a swap, but once there I'll keep the forum updated and make careful build notes. If you foresee any other obstacles that this swap will present, please let me know. I'm here to learn!

Cheers,

MiLo

MiLo, first, welcome to Lextreme.

Which drivetrain were you thinking of using in back of the 1UZ?

Hello Cribbj,

My current goal is to use an adapter plate from theturbodave.com (providing that they are a quality source) to hook up a WC T5 transmission from a 5.0 mustang. I'll have to use a shortened driveshaft, though I don't know what type I'll start with yet, and run it into Granada 7.5" diff set in a Hoyle IRS unite.

T5s are inexpensive and common in MGB swaps. The Granada diff/Hoyle suspension combo is being used by several V8 swaps with good reviews. I wouldn't want to boost the engine much if at all in such a light car, so it should never have more than 350-400bhp. Handling is more my gig than acceleration... though acceleration can be nice too.

Cheers
MiLo

Thanks! Dellow looks much more legit than the other place. It would be preferable to be able to pick and rebuild my own transmission too, which theturbodave.com didn't seem to encourage.

Cheers,
MiLo