Power Opinions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bmack

Hi All,

I'm new to this website and have been reading many of your posts. I have a 92 SC400 that I got a couple of weeks agon. It has 125K and I have just been changing the fluids (trans, oil, diff.), plugs, BFI, SS Brake Lines, and PCV.

My personal fave car would be a Supra but this SC is near enough and I am happy with it. Overall the car in my opinion is great, but I just want more kick to the car.

I can get a hold of eaton m90 supercharger for cheap and have been thinking about it a lot, but not sure what route would be the best.

Other Options I have thought of are:

Turbo, NOS, SAFC, Headers, Exhaust, Cams, MSD, Electric Fan Mod, Wires, TC, Torsen... I can go on.

My goal is to get faster 0-60 times, high 13's. A friend of man has a 2007 turbo Legacy and the car has great pull we haven't raced but I think I would get KO'd :knockedout: if we did. I'd like to hold my own with his car not sure of the stats on it but he says it has 330 hp and mid 13's. Well thanks in advance for your input
Bmack

This really depends on your budget. I guess your power goal would be around 350 bhp, not rwhp, then the M90 is the way to go. It's cheapest and somewhat simple for this range of power.

Stevechumo thanks for the reply man. Would 350 bhp be made from just adding the m90? I saw a post of an m90 making 202kw / 270 rwhp not sure what other things were done to the car. What size pulley and psi would be safe for stock trans and engine? I'd like to keep the SC for a long time without having to change transmissions or other parts, but more power the better... my name is Bmack and I'm a Caraholic.

Lextreme nice power and burnout is that your LS400. I haven't ever lit up the tires even from slamming on the pedal...nice man :laugh2:

also roots vs centrifugal? just read the post http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...gal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html
is this applicable to the m90?

thanks again glad to have found this site!

i will always be a roots guy when it comes to supercharging... its odd becuase comeimg from the MKIII supra crowd i am a turbo guy at heart...
there is an old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" a roots/ screw blower is a pos displacement system and it is as close as you can get to adding displacement to any engine, the biggest argument is that roots blowers have that same boost at idle, unlike turbos, and centrifugal blowers. and bang for buck you just can't beat the m90-m112 from what i have been readin you could setup a 1uz qith a blower for under 2grand (used parts) just a little more for all brand new stuff.

in answer to your question, there would be no reason to mount a wastegate on a m90 or m112 assuming they are the models with an internal bypass in them. also the m90 and m112 are meant to run between 6 and 12 psi, so really as long as you can control the throttle, you have all the control you need.

I'm working on getting the M112... It's in the works...

For me I wouldn't want the limitations of an M90 on my 1992 SC400.. Alteast with the M112 you can peak around 500whp or so... That works for me unlike the M90 which pegs out around 300whp tops... The M90 probably will get you into the high 13's but the M112 may just get you into the high 12's...

Something to think about...Horsepower is addictive and I would hate to see you get the M90 and six months later say to yourself why didn't I get the M112...

John,

Tell me more about your M112? You sure you want to do M112? Its alot cheaper then Whipple but alot of work to get it running. Mine might be running in a week or so.

I'm getting the Cobra M112, with a crude and unfinished intake manifold... Curtousy of (John) Cribbj when he gets back in town.. Just need final measurements to confirm the fit... I'll grind and polish off the intake manifold myself...

Lex, why is it hard to get your M112 charger up and running? What's the hang up?...It's just a root charger how hard can it be..

I think with Jordy's manifold is little friendlier for those SVT Cobra M112 than Richwood. However, Richwood manifold is the best on the market for the 1uzfe hands down.

Another pic of the M112 and manifold to go onto my 1992 SC400 1uz-fe motor.. I am still not completely conviced this setup will fit under my Sc400 hood..What do you think Lex? I am waiting for final measurements... I am hoping I will not need to make a little custom hood scoop to accomidate..

Attachments

• 180px-Rotary_piston_pump (Large).jpg
    180px-Rotary_piston_pump (Large).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 4
  • ct_066001 (Large).jpg
    ct_066001 (Large).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Lysholm_screw_rotors (Large).jpg
    Lysholm_screw_rotors (Large).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 4
Nice links Lex...It appears your biggest problems with this project is fitting all the components in right under the hood...From your reads it sounds like you are getting it done...

When I get the charger and manifold in my possession I will call you for help if you don't mind.. Lex, You once again have paved the way for us first timers.....Good work my man on that soon to be supercharged 4.7 tundra motor of yours...That's going to be a wild ride..... Instant rude throttle response with these root chargers, I love that!!!!

Bmack - don't want to jack your thread but these links are a good read for you as well...

Stevechumo thanks for the reply man. Would 350 bhp be made from just adding the m90? I saw a post of an m90 making 202kw / 270 rwhp not sure what other things were done to the car. What size pulley and psi would be safe for stock trans and engine? I'd like to keep the SC for a long time without having to change transmissions or other parts, but more power the better... my name is Bmack and I'm a Caraholic....!

270 rwhp is around 350 bhp. It's really fast for this hp. A proper fuel system is a must. I believe the stock m90 pulley which is about 7 psi is pretty safe for the engine. You might need to have a complete exhaust system from the heads down to the mufflers to maximize the potential of the m90. Lextreme has the rebuilt and strenghtened torque converter that will ease your tranny. Here it is: http://www.lextreme.com/allgo.html. Also, a tranny cooler is a safety to abuse your tranny.

hey pres6

thanks for the response. I used to own a 1994 celica gt and wanted to do a 3sgte swap but car got totalled. So now having a v8 I am satisfied but still hungry. $2,000 for an sc setup sounds great to me. Now just thinking of ways to get a sc manifold mount w/o buying one for $3,000 (rushimports). What do you think about getting a block of aluminum and bringing manifold measurements to a cnc machine shop?

what's up jibby,
an m112 sounds incredible man. I was hoping for high 13's and maybe 12's w/ nos. So hitting 12's w/ the m112 is fine by me.

Where did you get your s/c mount from? I am just trying to find ways that I can fab it myself or find someone that can do it for cheaper?

I've been following a lot of your street kills and though I don't race much; I am a Crotch Rocket guy forever so more hp makes me happy and being able rip the throttle back is definitely addicting.

How much could I get an m112 for? I have seen around $1500-2000.
And does anyone have block measurements for a s/c mount plate? I saw someone making them on here for $600 aud with intake bell mouth housings is he still around? (sp)

Well still can't wait see how your m112 470 car pulls Lex keep it rolling man. definite sleeper.

Later,
Bmack

honestly of the manifolds i have seen, the richwood is still the best, and if you have access to machining you could have the richwood modified to be a lil shorter for the hood clearance issues.
then again there seems to be alot of different varieties of the m112, with different plenum attachments, i posted up a m122 in "general discussion" earlier, not sure about the dimensions but the plenum is on the other side, might help.
the only issue i have with copying anything that richwood makes is that they are a very good and fair company from what i have seen, so it would be a moral issue for me.
i have thought for a long time about whether or not one of these SC manifolds could be cast or formed out of a composite material like a fiberglass, or some other polymer, they are much easir to work with at home.
i am like you, i have a need to make things for myself, it is more of a sickness sometimes..

There are many versions of M112. Depending which company they made it for. The standard M112 will fit into Richwood manifold without any problem. However, if you want to save some money, have some time, with some tools. You can pick up the 2003 Ford SVT Cobra M112 supercharger. They goes around $350 to $400. Just make sure you get the bypass valve along with the charger. Fitting under the hood is the biggest challenge. I have the links above that will give you some ideas.

I think I can get my charger running in few weeks. Most of the challenges are over now. Bungs are being weld on for stablization. Perhaps I should work with Andrew from Richwood to make an adaptor plate for the M112 with his manifold.

BMack, it looks like Lex and pres6 have answered all your questions...

I too use to own and drive crotch rockets all the time... My last bike was a stetched drag bike that would blow your hair off and not back... Sooo fast and scary I am lucky I didn't die on that machine..Jetted carbs, bored block, straight open pipe, etc.. I couldn't punch it in first gear no way too much power, and in second if you hammered it the stretched bike would either spin out the big rear tire or the front wheel would raise up and scare the crap out of you, third gear you would just hold on and hammer it.....I figured I was rolling the dice long enough risking life and limb on that beast... I Gave up on the rice rockets years back after that drag bike started to break down with leaks and what not and when I saw a buddy go down on his CBR900 after hitting some loose gravel on a bend and he ended up needing a skin graph on his arse.....

Now I just try to get a few thrills in my nitrous run Sc400 every once in a while... I must admit I am looking forward to boost though.. I am just hoping the M112 super charger ends up making my car faster then when running my 150 shot of juice.. I have my doughts..

End of story, Bmack good luck with your future boost plans... Just read and pick out what is best suited for your needs and budget and you will be good.....

:hail:hey all thanks for putting up with all my questions I am very certain about doing the supercharger mod. Just gotta start getting parts or making them.