potential 4.0 swap into 4runner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stump-runner

Hi all! I'm new here, and have been searching the net for a couple days. I have an '89 4runner with a blown 3.0 that has about 280k mi on it. I've been trying to find out how difficult the 1uzfe would be to swap in while maintaining my manual transmission. The part that has me most bewildered is the ECU. I've figured out that it has been done but that's about it. Any help at all would be great!

Hi there

Hi there to all. I am also new to this site. This is conversion that I have been wanting to do for years now but never had the time. I own a 1999 Hilux and want to fit the VVT i motor with manual trans. Im a bit worried about the standard box. Ive seen what a bigger engine can do to a standard transmission! Any advise? Keep up the good work!

Thanks for that advice. I believe the r154 is hard to come by as it is quite old. How about a more modern tranmission like from the d4d 4x4?

That I believe is the R151 but you can use the R150 or W series with no worries. R154 does have more V8 friendly ratios for street driving but the big thing to ask is what is your intended use for the 'Lux?

The r154's are harder to find, but really not that bad. and 20 years isn't really what I'd call old unless you're trying to insult someone j/k lol.
and like sams dad said, you can use models that are still in production like the r151 and r150f.

R151f

Sorry Guys. Didn't mean to offend anyone :-D. I will look for a R151F. This should be easy to find as they are still used in the current D4D. I've calculated the gear ratios and it should be good with slightly bigger wheels, that I want to fit anyway. (P.s. sorry to hijack this thread)

Sorry Guys. Didn't mean to offend anyone :-D. I will look for a R151F. This should be easy to find as they are still used in the current D4D. I've calculated the gear ratios and it should be good with slightly bigger wheels, that I want to fit anyway. (P.s. sorry to hijack this thread)

You didn't.. The R154 is expensive due to the "Drift Tax" but it is an R series box so if you have a good parts guy you can get the internals and fit it to your 150 or 151. The last two letters of the gearbox code only denote different ratios. The big question to ask is what are you building and what are you building it for?

Well, I am preparing to build a 1999 1uz or 3uz powered Hilux. It has to be reliable as it will have to travel long distances. I also want to improve the off-road ability, but not sacrifice too much open road drivability. It will also be used to tow.
I was looking at the R151f as this is currently still in production behind the D4D diesel. (Well in South Africa anyway) I have calculated the gear ratios and should be ok with 31 or 33 inch tires. With that setup it will have a lower first and second, third and forth is about the same and 5th is a bit higher. I will do some suspension mods but want to try and do it without a body lift.

We are using a few of the latest model hilux boxes. 2WD and 4WD. We have a choice between the D4d and the 4.0 V6 petrol and the 2.7 petrol box. Often the V6 has more suitable ratios for what we are doing. The gearstick is horrible so either we cut and reweld or fit the early shifters. We can get the boxes quite cheap and many have done very few Kms. Have seen they as low as 15000km. When building 4x4 vehicles I avoid the W or G boxes now as they are too easy to break when the are getting stressed off road especially with the VVti motors. The R154 boxes are still avaliable brand new. We can get them over here for around NZ$4K which is awesome considering they dont need rebuilding like many of the 20 year old boxes.

Cheers

We are using a few of the latest model hilux boxes. 2WD and 4WD. We have a choice between the D4d and the 4.0 V6 petrol and the 2.7 petrol box. Often the V6 has more suitable ratios for what we are doing. The gearstick is horrible so either we cut and reweld or fit the early shifters. We can get the boxes quite cheap and many have done very few Kms. Have seen they as low as 15000km. When building 4x4 vehicles I avoid the W or G boxes now as they are too easy to break when the are getting stressed off road especially with the VVti motors. The R154 boxes are still avaliable brand new. We can get them over here for around NZ$4K which is awesome considering they dont need rebuilding like many of the 20 year old boxes.

Cheers
Kelvin,
for a road going 4x4 1UZ into a KZN185, are you saying the newer v6 box would be the best way to go? Whats the code for this box? what clutch/flywheel do you use with these?

cheers, Andrew

Is your surf manual now? If it is I would use the stock box as the 185 runs an R box just like the sheep shagger. In the above comment I was refering to the 2wd boxes where the R154 is getting old. I sell clutches for 185 and the newer sheep shagger boxes. Cheers

Nah, unfortunately its an auto (A3040F A03A)
I'll need an LSD also

I might give you a call or email to bounce some ideas off you for my conversion if thats ok?
I know you probably get people pestering you alot, but youve got some great knowledge!