Pictures Ford mod motor with supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Ford has a similar to xUZFE in their mod motor series 4.6 and 5.4 liter engines. It is supercharged in the Cobra, GT500 and GT supercar.

Here is a page with a bunch of pictures and details on these applications which is a good visual aid for our applications.

Ford's supercharged Mod motors - Autoblog

Last edited by a moderator:
Not meaning any disrespect but for once I have a healthy respect for an American engine, I really like the 5.4L 4V and have seen some really impressive stuff done with completely stock engines, how does 1000bhp sound?

I also like the fact that you can buy a *complete* crate engine brand new with warranty from FRPP, heck you can even buy the Ford GT variant of this engine although the price tag seems a little excessive considering they have just released the 'Romeo' version with more power (albeit an iron block rather than Alu and no dry sump good ness).

Speaking of which does anyone know a way of getting and using the stock Ford GT dry sump system and using it with the 5.4L 4V Romeo crate engine?

London are not impressed with the American made LSx motors? I haven't seen a much better designed motor then the LS7, LS9 GM motors for performance...

I still don't think Ford has made a better motor then those..

In another forum we have quite a few fans of Ford engines. Every one of these guys who have contemplated putting a mod motor in a GT40 have backed away from it in the end because it's so huge.

No disrespect to the engineering in the motor, but it could've been done in a lot less space......

Here's a pic of a mod motor next to a conventional SBF. To put this pic in perspective, our 1UZ's are about the same size as the SBF.

John, you are correct, a point I have made as well in other places and you have posted a great picture for comparison.

That said something I also noticed was the exhaust header space requirements of the 2 designs. Most DOHC head have their exhaust flange basically parallel to the block wall. This greatly reduces the additional width requirements (if any) of adding manifolds or headers to the DOHC V-block engines.

On OHV engines such as the small block Ford pictured the exhaust outlet plane is canted somewhere in the range of 22 degrees inward. This requires the header and or manifold moves almost dead sideways creating a wider space requirement and the need to bend the exhaust primary outlet downward very quickly just to move towards the ground. Just something to consider.

Of course the total height is another issue with the packaging of the cam in block giving a huge advantage. Did we mention weight?

In another forum we have quite a few fans of Ford engines. Every one of these guys who have contemplated putting a mod motor in a GT40 have backed away from it in the end because it's so huge.

No disrespect to the engineering in the motor, but it could've been done in a lot less space......

Here's a pic of a mod motor next to a conventional SBF. To put this pic in perspective, our 1UZ's are about the same size as the SBF.

Wow John! That motor is HUGE! Look how small that guy is standing next to it. LOL

London are not impressed with the American made LSx motors? I haven't seen a much better designed motor then the LS7, LS9 GM motors for performance...

I still don't think Ford has made a better motor then those..
You obviously haven't seen any of the raw, brute power provided by the 2.3 Ford inline-4, particularly the ones with HSC (High-swirl combustion, something that is akin to natural forced induction with the SVT ultra-high-reluctance turboencabulator option. :pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

:pirate::pirate::pirate::pirate:

:pirate:

Back from the dead...
It's funny, that people state the obvious, but with no rhyme or reason. Look at the height of the SBF, it is placed lower on the stand to appear smaller. But...... if anyone checked the dimensions of the 1uz vs. 4.6 DOHC Cobra motor and the SBF 302 windsor?, they'd find something interesting. In order from smallest to largest, all measurements are in millimeters...
Height: 1uz 660, 4.6DOHC 688, SBF 698.
Width: SBF 609, 4.6DOHC 675, 1uz 700.
Length: 4.6DOHC 600, 1uz 710, SBF 736.

1uzfe is shorter, and wider than both. The SBF is taller and skinnier. and the DOHC 4.6 is very short, and in the middle of the other 2, i would beg to differ it's close to being the smallest of the 3..

I would say there is not one CLEAR advantage in any of these beisdes the length, not having mentioned the weight of these engines. The SBF is a great engine, it has been a round for more than 40 years. It has been tried an true. I just thought i would do a little clarification on this. There is a clear reason why these motors are wide. I would love for someone to create a DOHC v8 without creating a very wide platform. Just thought i'd through in my two pennies

Stilltippin, can you please reference where you've taken your measurements for both the 1UZ and the mod motor, as I don't believe they're accurate?

It's always been said that a 1UZ will "fit" in a 700mm cube, but in reality several of the key dimensions are smaller than that.

For example, I find it difficult to believe that the 1UZ with its innovative scissors gear arrangement could be wider than a mod motor with its conventional twin cam drive sprockets? The new 1/2UR-FE motors with their dual cam sprockets on each bank are built more similarly to the mod, and as David (Lextreme) can confirm, they're really big beasts too. Much larger than the 1UZ.

If you believe the mod motor is "close" to being the smallest of the three, try selling that to Fran Hall of Racecar Replicas up in Michigan, who packages all three of these engines, plus the FE motors, in his GT40's and SLC supercars. I think Fran would have a tough time accepting that notion as he has already tried (unsuccessfully) to stuff a mod motor into one of his MKI GT40 replicas, whereas several people in Oz have successfully done MKI's with 1UZ's.

Here is a link to a photo of a 1UZ long block with dimensions shown (photos & dimensions courtesy of Thomas Rouw (Striker) on this forum. Granted this is a long block, and not a complete engine, but everything should be pretty accurate with the exception of the overall height:

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22428&postcount=2
http://www.geocities.com/infieldg/v8enginesizes.html
http://www.sullivanperformance.com/YVS450/tech/tech1.htm

I do stand corrected, however i don't imagine that it's a drastic difference. There is an inch and a half differences in width between the 5.4 and 4.6 engines. I do believe that i did include the intake and valve covers. But it was a general discussion, thought i saw it a little differently. I would like to find the difference of the 1UR 4.6 DOHC vs the Mod 4.6 DOHC.

I would like to find the difference of the 1UR 4.6 DOHC vs the Mod 4.6 DOHC.

You're right, it would be interesting to get the dimensions of the new 1 or 2UR motors; they're probably more in line with the mod, as well as Nissan's DOHC V8's.

Lexus did a nice job trying to make the 1UZ more compact with its scissors gear arrangement, but a pushrod motor, especially the SBF, is still much more compact.

The 5.0 Windsor only has an 8.2 deck height also..
This engine / block goes back to the 221 from about 1960's Fairlane etc..
The smaller LOOKING V makes some people say they are 60* motors..
But they are actually the same as the rest of them at 90*...

Hey all,

Long time no post, but this got my attention, the mod engine is indeed quite large judging by the picture,
I compared a 1uz to a rover RV8 last wednesday with a bloke who wants a newer engine in his westfield seven :)scared: ) and surpizingly, the 1uz is only wider than the old pushrod rover engine, and then not by much everything else is smaller. but the jap packs about twice as much of everything.

weight wise there not much difference in the rover of the 1uz being both alloy, but our engines are much lighter than a SBF or that Mod engine by the looks of it,

grtz Thomas