one coil off on cold start

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dewme5

Last two cold starts, my engine is starting on the lower coil only. After about 75 seconds, the other coil kicks in, and every thing is fine.

I've switched ignitors with no change. Installed a new coil, no change.

92 sc400, and auto. Driven about 2000 miles before this started happening this morning.

I've had no luck with pulling codes, and will be installing after market ecu in the comming weeks, so I don't want to spend money on a code reader.

Last edited:
measure the cam sensors, and they are fine.

The time is closer to 75 seconds after timing it.

Nothing underhood had been touched in two weeks when this started. But while looking around, I did find a ruptured Hydraulic fan solenoid. I do not use the Hyd. fan. Is there a chance the solenoid could cause some limp mode that shuts off a coil?

I tried out a new test light, and am unable to pull codes for some reason.

Jumpered te1 and e1. Put a test light between 12v and W (#6 pin, Blue/Yellow wired, on 40-40-40). When I turn the key, I get a very short blip of power, not enough to fully illuminate the bulb, and nothing more.

I do not have secondary o2's hooked up, so I should get that code at the very least.

I'm running out of ideas here, and this is my daily driver, and I work 3 hours away from home, so if someone could throw out a few ideas, I would appreciate it.

Problems have been kicking up a little more. Very inconsistent. A few shut off's at idle when sitting at red lights. Dropping one coil while driving down the highway. etc. So, I just bought the MS3. We'll see how this goes.

And have you gone back to basics and fitted a new pair of coils? Mine did just this. New coils and there was the end of the problem