On Car Welding

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

I have just recently gained access to welding equipment. For those with welding experience is is safe to weld on a car without disconnecting the computer? It has been over 10 years since I have done so (exhaust welding on my old Ford TBird) and if memory serves as long as the exhaust (or whatever is being welded) is properly grounded there may not be a problem. Thought I would check with our experienced forum members as I do not want a blown ECU or anything else. If I need to disconnect the ECU I will but if not necessary I will not. Suggestions?

John,

Everytime i go to my muffler shop to do some muffler and turbo pipping work. They never disconnect the battery or anything at all. So, I guess it is ok.

Lextreme said:
John,

Everytime i go to my muffler shop to do some muffler and turbo pipping work. They never disconnect the battery or anything at all. So, I guess it is ok.

Good point. Thanks David.

Some aftermarket electronic equipment is very sensative to welding on the car. The HKS turbo timer comes to mind since I've gone through 2 of them so far due to "on car" welding. The stock computer should be fine though.

Eric

All exhaust shops connect something across the battery terminals before welding.
It saves disconnecting the battery.

I believe its there to prevent voltage spikes. Must be a capacitor at a guess.

NEVER EVER weld near a battery, dont even have it in the same room if you can help it, if you get hot sparks on it, it may explode. Also, invest in some welding blankets so what i can cover glass carpet and or other parts of the car and protect it from splatter. Id dissconnect the battery too.