Oil Pump Priming help

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

elliotaw

Just after a little help here some1.....

I've made a new stainless steel sump for my 1uZ, its fitted up and isnt leaking (yet). ive put the oil containment right at the back of the sump close to the bellhousing to clear the crossmember on the car it's going into and so I had to fabricate a new oil pump pickup pipe.

The original pipe is about 25mm dia so I've used the same size and run the pipe right to the back of the engine and down into the oil and rewelded the original gauze filter part.

Now the engine has been sitting for about 6 months so most the oil has drained from the top of the engine and the oil pump.

I've refilled the engine and cranking it over on a battery produces no oil from the filter housing with the filter removed.

I've just tried to prime the pump by hooking up a rubber hose to the centre filter connection on the engine and filling it with fresh oil. The oil pours in the hose and then remains in the hose whilst it is held upright, so I am assuming oil has reached the pump and stopped there.

I've retried cranking the engine but still no oil coming up the pipe which is still attached.

Any ideas or help much appreciated

Elliot

I'd remove the filter housing from the engine and pour oil into the oil gallery coming from the oil pump. In fact I'd fill both openings. At least that way you know oil will have gone to the pump and the crank. Not much to the crank but some.

You could try turning the motor over backwards by hand to suck oil into the pump from the outlet side. The more you can get into the pump the more likely it is to prime.

Some engines have reverse flow valves in the filter housing to stop leakback into the sump. I don't know about the 1UZ in this respect. If it has a reverse flow valve this will explain why it isn't taking the oil you're feeding it.

Remove the sparkplugs while turning it over if you haven't already.

It will turn over at about 800rpm with a decent battery without the plugs in.

Another thing is we put an oil pressure guage (mechanical) on a mates motor.
We weren't getting any pressure.
Removed the line from the side of the filter housing (where the factory switch goes) and it shot oil out about a metre.

Attachments

• fans.JPG
    fans.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the replies already...

I'm not 100% sure whether the oil pump goes directly to the centre or the outside of the filter housing assembly, so I could even just be pouring oil against the crank, that might explain why it doesnt flow ?

I've now fitted the filter on and plumbed a large dia hose to the oil pump pressure switch connection and i've poured quite a bit of oil in that way. Eventually the oil has filled whereeveer it has gone and now very slowly continuously drains inbound. When I crank the engine it sucks down the oil ?? Not quite what I was hoping for. I've got the starter hooked direct to a battery and switch. looking at the front of the engine, the crank is rotating clockwise. Is that correct ?

I will remove the plugs as suggested and see if that helps. And then if still no luck I might try and remove the filter housing....

Cheers again.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know what the grey and smaller black wire are connected to at the starter motor ? I've managed to get it turning on only the larger of the 2 black wires and the main starter negative.

Any more suggestions on priming this damn thing ?

Ive done the same sump conversion as you and had initial priming probs at start up. Ended up filling pump from external oil hose connections, as I have a remote oil filter and started it up, took about 5 secs for the pressure to come up

Attachments

• DSCF0479.JPG
    DSCF0479.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
Success !!!

Removed all the spark plugs, used a good battery from my 4wd, and cranked her over but still no pressure.

Removed the oil filter and put a finger over the centre pipe to stop the oil from running out and then had the missus hit the starter again.....a few secs later oil came spurting from the outer oil filter pipe. Refitted it all up and replaced the pressure sensor with a pressure hose to the pressure gauge from the transplant car dash and theres more pressure than the gauge can read. More than happy..shame it took all day to get this far.

I'm still at a loss for the 2 wires at the start motor. Theres a connector coming from the starter with 3 wires, 2 black ones, one of which is larger and is the one im using to to run the starter, 1 smaller one and a grey one. Anyone know what these other 2 wires are for ?

thanks again for everyones help with the priming....

Elliot

The starter itself will only have 2 wires.
The big fat one (12mm or so) going directly to the battery, and the smaller one (3-4mm or so) that goes the the starter relay.

Any other wires that come from behind the motor in the valley are from the knock sensors.