oil cooler - worth it or not

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

speedaddict

I have a 2UZFE I'm swapping into a toyota T-100 prerunner, I wanted to know what every one thought about running an oil cooler. I have to run a remote oil filter no matter what because of frame clearance issues. I was thinking I should just add an oil cooler since I already have the lines coming off the motor, but now I'm worried the stock oil pump might not be able to efficiently push the oil all the way to the bed of the truck through a cooler and bigger filter then all the way back. I can mount the remote oil filter under the hood but would have to place the cooler behind the cab. Im not sure if it changes anything but I plan on supercharging the motor . What do you guys think, is it worth the hassle?

Yeah, although most likely not needed, but as Rod (Zuffen) stated, "Cheap insurance".

Also as stated, Make sure that you run some form of thermostat. Oils is intended to work in an intended temp range, and outside of that range (IIRC 180*F to 220*F), it looses it's lubrication properties. This is way it is not a good idea to rev and engine to much or to high until it reaches operating temp. This can be seen in a few high end sports cars, (Ferrari, BMW and a few others) in that they have imposed temp based rev limiters into the EMS's

What about the stock oil pump, does it have the capability to push the extra oil. Another point is by adding the remote oil filter it should add another quart, maybe more which should help keep the temp down, right?

it shouldnt be a problem if its a mechanical pump. which most are. extra oil shouldnt mean anything, because oil pumps are made for pressure, not volume.

I asked a similar question (Im in an a-arm buggy, roughly 2000 series jimco size) and got a favourable response. We're gonna do it and mount the cooler next to the radiator behind the drivers head.

What about the stock oil pump, does it have the capability to push the extra oil. Another point is by adding the remote oil filter it should add another quart, maybe more which should help keep the temp down, right?

I have mounted at least 75 oil coolers on to cars / engines (including a couple of 1uz's) that originally were not equiped with one and have never had a problem with any of them. The worse thing that might happen is that it might take a second longer for the system to initially come up to pressure.

Ive wired the car so that I can spin it up without ign to get oil pressure before flicking the ign switch. Not sure if this is going to be necessary as Im not sure how long its going to take to get pressure up, but thought it couldnt hurt!

Dumb question time: Is there any way of priming the oil system easily without putting in an external pump or turning over the engine? IE, we prime the power steering system (pump and res is at back of the car) by putting a cordless drill with a socket on the end of the pump and spinning it up till you get fluid returning to the res. Can you do similar for oil system?

Its an interesting idea - US$200 (or thereabouts) has anyone used one?

Attachments

• 08_11_06_1328.jpg
    08_11_06_1328.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 6
  • 08_11_06_1330.jpg
    08_11_06_1330.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 08_11_06_1331.jpg
    08_11_06_1331.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 6
I've got one fitted but I haven't fitted the electric vale yet. My main concern is oil surge on the track as my car gets good pressure straight away because I have an inline thermostat before the oil cooler. I also don't run a remote oil filter so that's one less thing the pump needs to overcome.