oil cooler question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

elliotaw

Hi, I am in the process of fitting a 1uz into my Capri. Whilst the engine slips into the engine bay, there is not much room for anything else. I was pondering with the idea of using the 1uz aircon and modifying the capri heater to keep the car interior cool, but simply there is not enough room so the air con has to go.

So, if I remove the aircon pump, are there shorter pulley belts available, and if so, can it be routed so that all the necessary pulleys rotate the right way and work as they should without slipping or do I fit another idler pulley in place of the air con pump.

I also came up with the possibility of running a pipe from the lower section of the engine oil sump to an external oil pump and then through an external oil cooler and then back to the sump to reduce oil temperatures. What are the opinions of doing such a modification? Would the oil become too cool? I was wondering also if a power steering pump could be mounted in place of the removed air con pump to pump the oil around. What do you think? would a power steering pump produce too much or too little pressure ? And......
Could an aircon pump, pump engine oil? if so, what are the chances of rewiring the aircon 'on/off' switch to an oil temperature sensor and relay to control the oil temperature? That would be pretty cool..or am i dreaming?

Any input appreciated

Elliot

I removed my ac pump and got a shorter belt and put it straight on minus going round where the ac pump was. The Fan hub now is being driven by a lot less of the serpentine belt but I feel that it is enough to drive the fan with the aid of a little belt grip in a can. I also roughfend up the surface where the belt runs to get more grip. I advise to take it to a maching shop and get them to knurle the spot where the belt runs.

If you plan on fitting an oil cooler it MUST be plumbed into the correct lines or you will end up with ruined engine.

The usual place for an oil cooler is before or after the oil filter and before the oil gets to the internal oil system.

Basically the oil should flow -> oil pick-up > oil pump -> oli filter ->oil cooler -> back into the engine to feed bearings etc.

Visit your local parts shop they will most likely have the parts you need or can get them in.

I have a Soarer GT Front facing oil filter, This has the ports to add a Cooler. I was told that the oil cooler is a factory exta for this model

If you need to run an oil cooler you should also use a thermostat to control the oil temp.

I dont think those front ports are for an oil cooler as this will cause the oil to short circuit. I think the plugs are just to blank off after machining.

I cant remember the size of the belt and the markings on the belt have worn off. I just measured the lenght with a piece of string and then measured that with a tape measure. I will try and get a pic of it if needed.