NOS on 1uz

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

Hey guys, im planning on running nos soon on my car, but trying to do as much information research as possible so i do it right. I hear that its safe to run half the power you produce. For example if you have 300 crank HP then you should put no more than a 150 shot (hp). What do you think would be a safe amount of Nos to run through a 300 HP motor 1uz with stock internals? What other factors are there? I realize ill have to have something to increase my fuel when the nos goes through, what would you guys recomend, apexi s-afc II?

Thanks for you help guys,
Nick

You’ve stolen my thunder. I was going to ask the same question.

This is what I’ve have in mind;

100HP NOS wet manifold kit. (I think 150HP would question the reliability of the 1UZ)

NOS comes at full throttle between 2000RPM and at 5500RPM.

I have a 1990 LS400 with stock internals. I’ve got a hiflow cat back exhaust and removed the last two mufflers. To dyno tune the mixtures of the NOS fuel fogger jets, I was initially thinking 50HP jets and working my way up to 100HP. But that will depend on the AF ratio during the tune.

My question are;

1) Where is the best location to place the NOS/Fuel fogger? I do not want to hide it in the engine bay, nor advertise that I have NOS. I just want the best place to stick it.

2) Anyone have objections to a wet NOS kit? Not really up for the cost of direct port.

3) Will the fuel pump handle my purposed wet kit?

4) Electronically, MSD don’t have a switch that will operate between 2000rpm and 5500rpm. They have one that starts at 1000RPM-3000RPM and another that starts at 3000RPM-6000RPM. I was thinking two MSD stitches in an electronic ‘AND configuration’ would do the job. Any thoughts on that?

I was going to install the kit myself. Any newbie traps to be careful for?

Cheers

padey

Good too see your interested too padey, yeah i was thinking wet kit, with 100-120 shot. I figure therese no way im making under 240 hp, lol so i thought 120 might be ok. I do like your questions along with mine. One more to add though, would a "windo switch" is just a mechanism that opens the nos injection at the set RPM range, right? so what about increasing fuel during that time? Not meaning to post the same question twice.

Thanks,
Nick

EDIT: murphy your one step ahead of me posting, do you have any suggestions to this?

xirforever said:
One more to add though, would a "windo switch" is just a mechanism that opens the nos injection at the set RPM range, right?
A wet system has the extra fuel required plumbed into the system. ie. With a wet system you get steel Fogger nozzle (see pic), where NOS and fuel is mixed as it enters the induction system.

nosfogger.gif

So we will need to tap an existing fuel line. (I'm guessing somewhere near plenum, near where the fogger will go???) And connect it to one side of the fogger. NOS goes into the other side. When you hit your window, both NOS and fuel solenoids are opened and you should get the right fuel/NOS ratio.

That's the theory of a wet system. So we should be fine. Only a Dyno tune with the system setup will back it up.

I wonder the best spot to get the fuel and where to stick the fogger?

Most 4-cylinders take 50-shots well. I don't think I'd go over 100 with a stock engine. The shots are usually whp so if you're going to base it off power, then I'd use whp as a reference.

Actually I was looking at the same thing. A 100 shot wet NX or Cold Fusion (TX local) setup and a Jacobs Mastermind progressive controller.
http://www.jacobselectronics.com/Pr...jID=775&minID=7751&selection=3&minselection=0
The mastermind has the RPM switches, ignition retard, progressive control, and can be setup with a fuel pressure safety switch. The only thing I am unsure of is how the ignition is controlled and how it would tie in with the 1UZ's ignition setup. Still researching that. Unfortunantly I will not be able to try this till Nov/Dec.

I just dont know about the value of the controllers, i mean, we are just looking to add nos+fuel into the intake.

As long as the mixtures are measured to suit and the bottle pressure is constant I dont see the point in paying as much for a controller, as for an entire wet kit.

I just bought this kit;

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10297.pdf

I noticed the caution at the end of page 15. They dont recommend using nos below 3000rpm. Not sure why, but this would make for a loooong wait for the revs to reach 3000rpm.

Anyway, it will be here in a few days. I'll do some more work on the engine before i install it, ie BFI and planning where i'm going to run the lines and so on.

padey

The purpose of most of the nitrous controllers is to prevent nitrous at lower rpms or at the beginning of a run when traction may be in question. As the rpm increases or as time goes by and speed increases, traction is not as limited and progresively more nitrous can be applied. Generally speaking you see nitrous controllers on larger nitrous setups or on direct port setups, where an instant jolt of 200+ HP would cause tremendous amounts of wheelspin.
Someof the other benefits of the controllers are the progressive increase provides less of a shock to the engine, trans, diff, etc; most have a timing retard function that lets you retard 0 to 15+ degrees; low pressure fuel safety switch; adjustable lower and upper rpm limts; etc.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/75738/index1.html
http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345202
Running at a lower rpm can cause additional stress on the motor and lead to nitrous backfire

padey said:
I just dont know about the value of the controllers, i mean, we are just looking to add nos+fuel into the intake.

As long as the mixtures are measured to suit and the bottle pressure is constant I dont see the point in paying as much for a controller, as for an entire wet kit.

Well the controler does just about everthing and can tell you pretty much anything that is going on in the engine. It retards timing when needed, and has a bunch of safty features built into it when sometimes it would take more than one unit to do all the stuff this one module does. Im not claiming to be an expert on this stuff, im far away from it. But sometimes having proper controll or just the peace of mind is half of the mod itstelf. ya know?

Anyway, what sold you on that nos kit? just wondering

--Nick

Attachments

• 12537block_2-med.jpg
    12537block_2-med.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 12537block-med.jpg
    12537block-med.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 12537old_new_rods-med.jpg
    12537old_new_rods-med.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 12537rods_pistons-med.jpg
    12537rods_pistons-med.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4
That does look like a nice kit there, my sponsor can get me wholesale prices on all NOS brand products... hehe. But it says in those instructions where to best mount the nozzle. Is it possible to run hard lines from the bottle in back to the components up in the engine bay? That would be cool to do as you could just follow the existing fuel line and put the NOS one right next to it.

xirforever said:
That does look like a nice kit there, my sponsor can get me wholesale prices on all NOS brand products... hehe. But it says in those instructions where to best mount the nozzle. Is it possible to run hard lines from the bottle in back to the components up in the engine bay? That would be cool to do as you could just follow the existing fuel line and put the NOS one right next to it.
hmm i think i need some sponsors. :)

I got this kit because to me a NOS setup is quite simple. So i'm not to interested in paying double, for something that i can do with a tune on my friends dyno. Secondly, it's easy to install and easy to remove. Once i've had my fun, i can easily sell it or move it to another car.

xirforever said:
Does anybody know if Nitrous would puddle in the intake when injected through a wet kit?
I'd think that could only happen in a very very poor installation. But time will tell.

My kit will be here at the end of the week.