Nasty Looking 1UZ for Swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sietekk

I bought a 92 LS400 donor car this past weekend for only $500. It's in really good shape mechanically, but it was sitting for some time. The engine along with the rest of the car cosmetically looks like total crap. Any aluminum exposed on the engine is tarnished and oxidized, and all bolts and hose clamps are rusty looking. Everything is in fine working order, just mild corrosion. I will be taking the engine apart to replace all the usual things you do before swapping it. This will allow me to clean everything I'm bitching about. I want to ask all of you with your immense wisdom to educated me on the best way to clean these parts.

So far, I was thinking of using POR-15 Metal Ready on all the aluminum parts then coating with clear or silver. What should I do about all the bolts and hose clamps? Is there something better for the aluminum? How should I treat the valve covers, AC pump, and the rest of the accessories? How should I take care of the exterior of the block and heads?

I really appreciate all your advice!
Mike

Keep in mind POR have very fast turn around with alloy and Metal Ready.

It will corrode the alloy very quickly.

Using their silver to paint it won't turn out looking like Aluminium.

For the rust, replace the clamps and clean the bolts up on a buff.

So you're saying that if I use the Metal Ready product, I need to deal with the surfaces immediately? I did read that if I wait, the surfaces will corrode. I wasn't planning on using the POR-15 Silver paint but most likely a clear coat. As for the bolts, whats a good rust preventative to coat them in to prevent further oxidation?

Another motor i did, I didn't do the block on this one so you can see how it looked before.
Forgot to mention i also use soapy steel wool.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 22
This is what I'm working with:
Nasty1UZ-FEEngine.jpg

I hosed it down so it looks better than it is. Elbow grease is fine for the small number of large things like the intake manifold (by the way really kick a$$ work fugly!), but is there any short cut I can take with all of the rusty looking fasteners, hose clamps, nuts, bolts, etc that will make my life easier besides wire brushing each and every one of them? Even the igniter screws are rusty looking. Yes, I'm looking for the easy way out... :D

At least it runs really well! If anything, it'll match the Cressida it's going in hahaha :p

Last edited:
Any rust you have on bolts ect will just come back again if not painted or coated with a clear. As prev mentioned, repace clams bolts with newies if you want the clean look. You will need to pull some covers and bits off to clean it properly. There is no easy way. Time, elbo grease, de greaser, alloy etch, steel wool and some silver paint on small bits will make it better.

I've also used Ali Bright with great results. Rinse off with lots of water to prevent further corrosion.
The blots etc. can be re-plated or newly plated if not previously done.
Just don't plate any high stress items like flywheel bolts. :eek: