My SC400 will R.I.P..!!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Hey folks it's hard to say this but here it goes...:kabong: This even comes as a suprise to me some what...

A year ago my SC400 was showroom and kicking arse in races...150 shot and burning rubber with the best of them...My pride and joy...

Today my 1992 SC400 is literally falling apart on me...Front to back.. These are my current issues that just arose in the last month or so.. It's not worth it to try and restore it at this point..

- vibration under the car when traveling over 50mph... (driveshaft or mounts are going is my guess)

- Whinning noise coming from the backend, (wheel bearings and or LSD)...

- Driveside door guts are all broken and window regulator has issues..Complete door is toast and needs replacement..

- LCD Climate is black

- Paint chips are starting to appear on the front end of the car, no dings or dents though..

- Rear tires are starting to get bald and the fronts too..

- Suspension is showing signs of wear..

- One quart of oil usage between oil changes. She burns a little bit but still purs...

- Have a new exhaust leak coming from underneathe the car..

- A/C is dead, freon leak behind engine...

- No underbody covers...

- Oxidation on inside cabin of wood panelling in one area..

- Stereo has some issues..

- Idles abit lower then normal which taps out the alternators juice at idle..

- Etc.. etc.. etc... Bunch of other little stuff..

I am now even a bit fearful to drive it..I feel like the backend may lockup on me or something....I would say it's racing days are now over...RIP ......The drivetain issues did me in...I have already replaced two trannies, one drive shaft, spindle, one wheel bearing in the last two years, etc.. I am done...

I am now looking to strip it of all it's mods, new leather seats, tires, torque convert, 1uz, rims, headers, down pipes, fans, new radiator, battery, stereo, amp, etc... I will then Part out and the rest of the car and sell... Store all the mods in garage until I get another SC...However, I am now deciding on what I want to get to replace my ride, I know it will be fast what ever I get...... A SAD DAY for Jibbby's ride indeed...

The continued weekly racing and nos runs has done my car in...It was solid for 5 years which is a testimate to the stoutness. I absolutely roasted this car almost daily...I am suprised it held up so good for this long... However, it's been a gas while it lasted... :smokin:

Attachments

• M112-Charger 010.jpg
    M112-Charger 010.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 312
Here is my estimated of cost to fix your problems:

1. - vibration under the car when traveling over 50mph... (driveshaft or mounts are going is my guess)
$50 for the differential and driveshaft

2. - Whinning noise coming from the backend, (wheel bearings and or LSD)...
See repair # 1

3. - Driveside door guts are all broken and window regulator has issues..Complete door is toast and needs replacement..
$100 or so for those used locking modulator

4. - LCD Climate is black
$160 to fix -Cosmetic

5. - Paint chips are starting to appear on the front end of the car, no dings or dents though..
$300 to fix -Cosmetic

6. - Rear tires are starting to get bald and the fronts too..
Normal wear and tear

7. - Suspension is showing signs of wear..
$400 for a complete shocks and springs

8. - One quart of oil usage between oil changes. She burns a little bit but still purs...
Not bad... could be worst

9. - Have a new exhaust leak coming from underneathe the car..
$20 possible gaskets

8. - A/C is dead, freon leak behind engine...
I might have one for you

9. - No underbody covers...
Most SC dont have it. However I have one for you if you like

10. - Oxidation on inside cabin of wood panelling in one area..
Normal wear and tear

11. - Stereo has some issues..
Time to update to a MP3 $250

12. - Idles abit lower then normal which taps out the alternators juice at idle..
Needs a tune up

13. - Etc.. etc.. etc... Bunch of other little stuff..
I know a local guy is parting out one of his wrecked SC, so parts will be very cheap.

You can get it fix with less then a grand or so. Labor is FREE from the TRIAD.....Perhaps we should add u into our Triad to Quaiad

Get a corvette like you always wanted. Then go racing with like you always do once you throw some mods into it thats my IMO. :headbang:
BTW if you selling your LSD I call dibs :wink:

Sorry to hear about your car problems, if there is anything we can do to help with replacement parts, let us know.

The SC is a rock solid beauty and with your 5 years pushing it to it's limits, that's impressive to say the least.

Good luck with your next beast.

Thanks fellas for the love... Your all too kind...

Racking ideas up now in my head.... Pondering on a potential LS1 and GM tranny swap which Lex has suggested to me.... My SC400 will start collecting dust so I need to decide quickly on a game plan, I no longer will be driving it...

I still have a lot of goodies on this car of mine.. A few final pics as I put it down to rest for now.....

LS1 buddy... I found one for you. Check your email. We can do this together. SC400 with LS1 LOL... LS1 with good pistons and rods plus 6 speed. A Procharger and intercooler will make this domestic beast roar. Perhaps u can nickname your car instead of Soarer name it Roarer.

Here is a 2000 Camero SS for about $2,500-$3,000

John,
You've pushed it untill it ages old...So that's normal like an old war horse. It gotta rest some days. However, horses can't be replaced with new organs, but your SC can...LOL. The LS1 is a good idea, or you can rebuild the internals and put a M112 on it. Putting down 450 rwhp can make you hang with the new Z06 for sure. Or you can go with a twin turbo like David and put down 800 rwhp along with the TH400 tranny.

For the other minor issues like exhaust leak, LCD screen, rusted interior...etc, we have all the answers for them.

For look, you can swap in a body kit if you want. or just swap to a +97 SC bumpers and sides. You can have a completely fresh and hotter SC.

From the picture of LS1. I think you would need hugger headers. I fitted a TH400 under my car and the T56 should not be a problem. Be the first SC400 to get a LS1. What about smog issue? Hey why not stroke it before installing it? From 350 ci to 434 ci along with a D1SC Procharger.

Thanks Lex and others for the input and kind words... I will only swap in a 99 or newer LS1 engine and tranny as the early year LS1's have reported problems.....I did find a complete 99 Vette engine, tranny and ECU in the local yard today for $6,000USD with 65,000 miles on the wrecked car... A little more then I want to spend as the search continues... Alot of LS1 engines and seperate trannies for sale by themselves...Tough to get the full package at one time with ECU and know the history of it....

I will miss the twin cam 1uz-fe's and that is fact...The smoothe idle and reliability is off the hook... I can only hope and pray the LS1 will hold up close to the 1uz-fe's when it comes to reliability and longevity...

LS1 powered SC400 sounds really nice to me and a first possibly... I am on it...

A few more closing pics..
Traps and Lex in regards to the rims..Had them specially made to fit my SC4 and can't let those babies go... Sorry fellas..

As far as fixing my SC4, no way...Too many limits with the auto tranny, too many problems and noises right now.....

James, my Torsen LSD may be making noise, I will put it on the rack tomarrow and see exactly where all these noises are coming from...I hope my LSD is still intact and good as I did pay $500 for the little item at the yards as it came off a 95 tt auto Supra with 85,000 reported miles on it...

to fix your car would cost less than just the ls1 alone so why not persevere and with the total of the conversion all up youd be better off redoing the 1uz with boost,

If Jibbby not swapping...

Then he need one of this:

attachment.php

Or

Pipes%20001.jpg

And one of this:
Lexus-2uzfe-Lextreme%20008.jpg

I think the LS1 swap will be very cool, but there will be alot of hidden cost. I would say prepare a $10,000 budget. You might not use it all but would be pretty close. Honestly, if I am you. I would definately do it with a forged stroker and put in a Supercharger too. 800 rwhp at will.

to fix your car would cost less than just the ls1 alone so why not persevere and with the total of the conversion all up youd be better off redoing the 1uz with boost,

White LS400, My 1uz-fe motor is not the problem and I love it and will pull it and keep it... The main hair pulling problem I've delt with for years is the automatic SC400 built and stock trannies failing on me or limiting me...Shifting was usually off when running the nos, broke two trannies, power limits enabling me to boost, etc.. It's a delema I no longer want to face or deal with combined with all the other little problems in the drivetrain... The solution the LS1 motor and a GM tranny swap, custom... What you I will get is an immediate 400whp with a few LS1 mods (cams and exhaust mods... Then I go for more power instantly by using my current nitrous system. I am severly limited with my current SC400 setup and that is the logic behind my madness....

It should be a relatively smoothe swap..A few custom welded engine and tranny mounts, driveshaft Gm and Toy on each end, and some wiring for the instrument integration in cabin for the instrument cluster...Throttle and cable hookup, fuel hookup, and cooling system hose hookup... There you go off to the races..... (I may be forgetting a few other small details)

Also with my SC400 the current operating nitrous dry system connection to the LS1 swap will be so easy to implement it will take 5 minutes..... I should have 500whp+ with just a small throttle body drill hold for the nos feed..... The GM tranny and driveshaft should hold the power, the torsen LSD and will hold the power...I should be good to go with nitrous...

I have been dreaming of 500whp or more for years and here is my solution and path of least resistance... Sorry to be a GM traitor and there may be regrets eventually but power is power right?

I think the LS1 swap will be very cool, but there will be alot of hidden cost. I would say prepare a $10,000 budget. You might not use it all but would be pretty close. Honestly, if I am you. I would definately do it with a forged stroker and put in a Supercharger too. 800 rwhp at will.

Well if I can get an immediate 500whp powered Lexus SC400 for around $10,000USD I'll take it... I can also sell my S&S Headers and down pipes to any SC400 owner as that will bolt right up, and sell some other stuff to offset some of the costs like the done over 1uz and tranny if I decide not to keep.. A basic N/A LS1 will also be very easy to maintain tune and fix, parts are plentiful and cheap...Unlike a boosted stroker...A boosted stoker will end up costing just as much in the end also... I will be going with the LS1 and GM tranny swap, as the search continues today...The truck is ready for engine and tranny transport, the SC400 will be on stands today....Doing most of it myself... Should be a gas and a challenge and I am up for it... Lex, pick up the phone when I call, I may need some of your vendor hookups...

"Made up my mind, making a new start going to California with an aching in my heart" can anyone name that tune?