My Attempt at Headers for a Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Shuey

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd contribute a few photo's of a set of Headers that I'm having built at the moment by my key fabricator at my workshop.

Not a huge amount of thought went into tuned length or collector merging. I figured that anything had to be better than the standard UZ131 Log style that I've had on my hilux for the past 4 years.

I used the exhaust gaskets to draw up the flanges and then cut them out in our inhouse CNC plasma cutter. Primary pipes are 41mm in Dia (1 5/8") and are a simple 4 into 1 design. It was originally going to be a tri - Y design, but space constraints and allowing for the engine torquing over meant that a 4 onto 1 design made sense.

Just tacked together for the moment. The tacks will be cleaned up and then TIG welded together. I'll shoot them out for Ceramic Coating when done. All pumbing is exhaust grade steel.

I have an M90 kit ready to go on, so hopefully these will work well and I'll be able to exploit the forced induction gains without exhaust restriction.

Promise I'll add more photos as they progress.

All finished...

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd put up a few photo's of the finished job.

I had them High Temp Ceramic coated for a tough durable finish that will contain the heat and should help me contain some of the under bonnet temperatures.

I'm very happy with the finish and looking forward to getting the car up and running again. Its been off the road for a year now. I'll get it running normally asperated first, then get the M90 on it.

Big thanks to Yogi down at the workshop.

Cheers,
Shuey

Congrats on completing your project! It is always an awesome feeling to finish something that was once only an idea in the mind.

I look forward to your results as well as the supercharger report.

Shuey,

Nice job on the headers.

I'm just about to make my headers as well. Where did you get the the ceramic coating done?

Did you (he) use a bender or were the bends/pieces ready made? Looks less complicated than I had pictured, I hate my cheap ass SS headers...

Hi Guys,
Not sure if you guys are aware, but there is a quicker way of getting ur 1uz up and running when your having trouble fitting the standard 1uz exhaust manifolds in a hilux because of luck of space. i discovered by chance when going around exhaust shops to try to modify mine to get them to fit in my ln61, that the V8 4.7 100 series lancrusier stock factory
exhaust manifold fit straight on to the 1uz! same flange, spacing and it bolts straight in, they are very compact and now they are not even remotely close to hitting anything!! they don't do the engine any justice cause there so crap, but at least you can get ur project up and running and worry about custom extractors later on! all you got to do is ring up exhaust places and ask them if they kept any stock manifolds of a 100 series lancruiser, i managed to find some and got them for free as the guy was going to chuck them in the bin! Anyways hope this helps someone!

Headers bits

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the lack of answers.... been off line a bit lately.

Ok, the bends were simply a mandrel bends that I bought from an exhaust shop. The exhaust flange was cut on an in house cnc plasma cutter I have access to.

The ceramic coating was done by a guy by the name of Lyndon. PM me and I'll forward you his contact details.

Project still has a ways to go. I have a pic attached to show you where the project as a whole is at... the list of things to complete is still quite long... just no time to do anything on it (or any other projects) at the moment.

Cheers,

Shuey

Quick Up Date

Hey Crew,

Thought I'd throw up a photo of the Lux... getting there... Not the biggest suspension flex around, but not to bad for a basic leaf spring setup.

Cheers,

Shuey

Shuey, it's Gunna be a ferkin spectacular rig when you are finished!!! :hail:

When does it get the M90?

and despite the leafs it's flex dumps all over an IFS flex.

Hey,

earthman. M90 will have to wait for a while. I'm off to the Murchison Off Road Adventure park in a few weeks with a few of the boys to compete in an event. Hopefully be finished by then... and not burn to th ground with some bizzar electical fault! Hope to shake it all down this weekend having been off the road for te last 18months or so.

Nemesis. Cutting a set of flanges isn't real expensive. if you are dead set keen, send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Lexplay... I have a soft spot for Hilux's... so err... Go with a HILUX man!