My $500 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

SuperRunner

So I was searching a wrecking yard in search of an R154 for the manual bellhousings I am working on and I came across this. A 1993 SC400. The interior was trashed as well as the front bumper and fenders. A little bit of bondo repair will also be needed on the rear quarter...very little though. No structual damage.

They told me the engine was toast....and I doubted that knowing the reputation of the 1UZ. So I took a chance and got it for $500. Not a single part had been taken out....except the CD player. Too bad the Nakamichi amp had been submerged in water though. It was ruined.

When I got it home I tried to started it with no avail. I then pulled off the cam covers and noticed the timing belt was loose. Then I noticed the tensioner was gone. HMMMMM. Seized idler pully came to mind. After further tear down, BINGO....seized idler pully. Replaced that with new timing belt, and it started right up. Other than a small hole in the y-pipe, the engine purrs like a kitten. SCORE!!!!!!

I have already replaced the interior and have a body kit and fenders ready to install.

Hopefully it will be ready to drive in a couple weeks after some body work and a new paint job.

sc400.jpg

Good score....You can install a newer front end too if you find one.. The hood looks straight... As far as the amp goes just pick up an AMP off Ebay like I did for $100 and install...I got a KX Kicker Amp and it blows the stock one away...

i want a $500 car :(

front end doesn't seem to be damaged, so, does that mean someone got rid of the car when the engine died?

yup. Timing belt tensioner seized up on them, and probably didn't have money to fix. Shop probably finally had it towed off. Front bumper and fenders make it look pretty bad, but it wasn't bad at all.

Whoa that's a nice one. I missed a $300 LS that ran perfect except for a malfunctioning/worn out transmission. A friend called me from a trans shop but I was too busy working to pick up the phone. Ah well.

Patience is key. These cars can be had for near nothing as people get scared when they see any repair quote. Good work, I like the white the best.

that black celica behind the sc in the pic looks exactly like mine, which i wish i could have the hood, radiator, etc from it due to my Christmas crash.

The celica is my daily driver right now. I picked it up in Cali for $1000 last fall. Drove it back and then did an EFI conversion on the 20R. Lots more power and WAY better gas mileage. Probably about 95% rust free. :)

My goal was to drop a 1UZ in it, but I think I will hold off that for awhile due to time, and family. So I will be selling it as soon as I get the SC street legal.

Dude, that's an old Datson 240z in that back ground pick I think....

Lex, call the wreck yards and check the recycler.com for broken down SC4's for cheap...LA is the mecha for cheap heaps...

superunner, that's cool we both have the same two cars and the black 77 celica gt and an sc400, i wonder how many drive that combo. It was my daily driver alot until some ahole turned into my lane on christmas. How did you get the 20r to efi? I know the 22r intake won't fit, i went the weber 32/36 route.

The EFI was not an easy process. Going from square ports to round ports and a hemi to non-hemi is a PITA. Then I also had to relocate the thermostat housing. I actually cut off a housing from a 7MGTE and welded that to the front of the stock 22RE intake manifold. I think it would have been easier to punch out a spot head where the 22R thermostat goes. Next time I guess. I am also now using a 7MGTE throttle body. It is bigger than any aftermarket 22RE one you can buy. Before the TB, I couldn't rev past 5400 RPM. Now I can take it past 6500 RPM, and I get much better throttle repsonse above 3,500RPM. No change under that. And you wouldn't believe how low the emissions were. I didn't even register CO2 and hyrdocarbons on idle. On high RPM it only went up by 1 PPM.

20re1.jpg

20re4.jpg

nice job, did you use a 22re ecu, did you have a junk car to take parts off or something and how did you mate those round and squaer holes.

Yeah, 22RE ECU.

I ported the head to mostly match the intake. It is a little abrupt and I definatly lose potential performance, a little welding on the head was also required, but I guarantee, it is much better than a stock setup, and if I drop in a 22R block, I am sure I will have more power than a 22RE too. The hemi 22R heads just don't flow as well as the 20R heads, good for low end torque though.