My 1uz swap just started

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

dulobast25

Here it goes:
I purchased an 1988 4x4 v6 4runner fitted with the 3vze and r150 5 sped transmission. Engine was blown, however I purchased it with a clean interior, straight body, knowing I was going to swap a different motor in it anyway. My plan was to drop in a 7mgte supra engine, which would change the 150 hp to 232 hp. I went ahead and purchased the ecu, harness, clutch set, high perf clutch disc, machined the flywheel and collected intercooler an pieces to start the swap. I fabricated an adpater to mount the non turbo style cluch setup between the r150 tranny and 7mgte engine. Then I got sidetracked... 3-4 years later, I am now restaring the project. After searching for 7mgtes, i cam to the conclusuin they are now too expensive, require too many parts and and now harder to get than before. Add to that the complexity, fabrication, weight and bhg issues with those motors, not to mention having to deal with the core support convinced me to go 1uz.

cont.

My game plan don'ts:
No body lift, cutting of the body, hood, body mounts, firewall, core support, and mods past the firewall.
My game plan dos:
I plan on using the existng rear sump oil pan (modified to clear the frt pumpkin and x member)
I plan on using the Lextreme oil filter housing plate or 2uz tundra oil filter housing depending on price and availability..
I plan on using the LX470.sequoa 4x4 oil pan over the rear sump depending on price and availabiliy.
I plan on using the 2uz mech fan idler/delete or a modified 1uz hyrofan pump assy, depending on price and availablility of the 2uz part.
I plan on modifying the stock exhaust manifolds to clear the chassis.
I plan on using the stock 3vz v6 fan (with modded outlets) or a cutom unit depending on price. A supra radiator can also work, here. Electric bosch fan, flexalite, or imperial autozone special (puller).
I plan on running ac and power steering, which should be easy
I plan on installing and running the motor stock.
I plan on modifying the signal to the tach (if needed) to change the signal from a 6 cyl signal to a 8 cyl signal
I plan onusing a suprarunner bellhousing (if he can get it to me in a timely fashion)
Otherwise I will be in the market for purchasing a 1uz bell and buying or making another adapter plate.
Lets get another group buy going thru suprarunner:

1. D.russell

cont.

UPDATE:

I planned on using the 3vz flywheel and the following were the results:
The 3vze flywheel has the 8 bolt battern, but like the 5vz,3s and 5s, the colt circle is about 1/16" too small in radius and as such the holes needed to be elongated by about 1/16" increasing the bolt circle.
The center hole ID needed to be increased by 5 mils as the flywheel would got onto the crank, but it would then have to be forced, it couldnt slip on like the stock unit.
With all this done, the flywheel fit onto the crank, slid to the engine, seated and was bolted up.
RESULT:
THE 3VZ FLYWHEEL HAS THE CORRECT RING GEAR SIZE, CHAMFER DIRECTION AND LEADING EDGE TAPER, THE STARTER ENGAGES FROM THE ENGINE SIDE LIKE THE 1UZ AND UNLIKE THE 3S AND 5S, HOWEVER THE RING GEAR IS APPROX 1" TOO FAR FROM THE STARTER MOTOR GEAR AND AS SUCH WILL NOT ENGAGE UNLESS 1" OF MATERIAL IS MACHINED FROM THE REAR OF THE FLYWHEEL. THIS IS POSSIBLE, BUT WILL LIKELY WEAKEN THE WHEEL.
I CHOSE TO ABANDON THIS ROUTE ANS USE A 3SGTE FLYWHEEL WITH THE 3VZ CLUTCH SET MENTIONED ABOVE.

Nice. Are you ganna have anymore plans for it other than the engine? A few months back I saw a mid-milage Japanese 7mgte with a r154 box bolted to it, turbo, ecu and everything. Had a cracked intake manifold for some reason. Wanted 800. I should tried to get the r154 off him. That was a week after I bought my 1uz. If I didnt get the UZ O probably would bought that engine/tranny.

flywheel 101

MVC-129S.jpg
MVC-128S.jpg
MVC-135S.jpg
comparison of 3vz and 1uz bolt circle, and flywheel after machining:
MVC-131S.jpg
MVC-132S.jpg
MVC-137S.jpg
^all is good..until....
MVC-138S.jpg
MVC-140S.jpg
I can only remove about 3/8" of the overall 7/8" at the flywheel bolt circle center
MVC-139S.jpg
MVC-136S.jpg
^comparison between 1uz and 3vz ring gear to starter clearance on 1uz block...

Is the engine from an SC400?
If so, the ECU is would not be located in the front clip, it's below the left side rear window.

I had a blown fuel pump ecu lying around at work, if I still have it, I'll snap a picture so you know what it looks like. PM me your e-mail addy, and I'll send a pic over.

no - fuel pump ecu is located in the panel below the LHR window - small unit with a 5 wire plug and easy the identify -
We have the same vehicles over here as 4 runner or hilux (nz new) or hilux or hilux surf as imports. We have done a few conversions on them - they are always fun to drive - cheers Kelvin

bellhousing

i'm having trouble getting a hold of castlemain, dellows AND monsterperformance.com to get a clear answer on the bellhousing for r150 to 1uz. the first 2 wont answer my emasils, the last wont give me an eta...who did you use to adapt the trannies?

I'm newb here and pardon my ignorance, is it anyway possible to just not to take any material off the crank side of the 3vz flywheel, but to flip the sprocket on the starter in order for it to engauge properly and not compromise the strength of the flywheel this way?
Or find a starter sprocket that would be a little further out closer to the flywheel.
Im another inthusiast of the of this 1uz vvti engine and gathering r154 and parts as I learn about it to make it a 5speed swap.
Just trying to come up with an idea, if it's even possible getting that sprocket from another Toyota starter.
Great info and pics in this thread!!
Thank you dulobast!!!!!!

3vz already has the correct ring gear in the correct direction. You just need to remove all the material on the back .100" past the ring gear and the mill the bolt hole pattern out to a 1.575R bolt hole pattern. This is old news :) You might want to take a look at the las post on this thread. it was back in 05'