Modifying the cooling

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Arnout

I was assembling the built V8 tonight and I was thinking if it's possible to optimize the cooling system a little. Looking at the engine it seems the front is better cooled than the rear (like most engines) so that can be improved. How about anything else? Are there any hotspots in the heads or in the engine?

i also was looking at this and wondering if you could put a couple of fittings in the rear and front crossover and plumb to the rad similar to speedway cars.

plumbing the rear to the front was also my idea. However the line must not be too big as the water is already pressed through the head from the rear to the front by the dimensions of the headgasket (check it out and see the variable diameter of the coolant holes).

I would figure Toyota designed the cooling passages knowing the vehicle was intended to cover big miles/K's in all sorts of exteme temps,

How many of these engines have blown a head gasket when in the standard configuration?

I think you risk doing more harm than good.

My fresh engine is running stock water flow (if you don't count the t/b coolant line) and will give over 600hp. I'm pretty sure John Cribb's engine is standard cooling.

Check all the hi po blown/turbo engines and they run standard cooling.

your arguments don't make sense; why tune an engine to three times the stock power and don't rethink the cooling system? As if the cooling system was originally made for 600+ hp?

I was think more along the lines of how they used to do it to the old red motors for racing in the early days and them cooking #6 piston etc.I realize diff engine/years apart in terms of design etc.

I thought removing the top fitting on the engine and running 1 or 2 lines from the front and back crossovers and then a couple of fittings welded into the rad instead of the single one.

I only gave this 10mins thought quite a while ago but at this stage it ain't broke so i ain't fixing it.

your arguments don't make sense; why tune an engine to three times the stock power and don't rethink the cooling system? As if the cooling system was originally made for 600+ hp?

By making the external cooling system capable of cooling 600hp... Rod's 600hp will be in a custom vehicle with custom cooling.

You wouldn't triple the power and not touch the cooling system externally. If you ensure you've upgraded (where necessary) things like radiator, air flow and water volume I also think that the cooling to the total motor should be the same as stock with 200hp. If stock configurations have no known issues then surely it's efficient enough?

I used to have an inefficient radiator/fan set up in my converted 4WD that used to run on the highway at 95deg C. Now with my overkill system (rad and fans) and running 7psi boost, on a soft sand beach in 4WD under constant load (30degC air temp) it will stay under 90 degrees cooolant temp. If the water temp is that low now, then I have no concerns about the rest of the engine.

Is there some sort of oil-to-coolant heat exchanger? This is mostly to keep oil and coolant closer in temp to each other. This also seems to help if coolant temps start to rise faster than the oil as there is more medium to absorb and spread out the heat. Typically you won't be making max horsepower much of the time anyway.

As far as "improving" the cooling where needed is really a shot in the dark unless you know for sure where the problems are. I'd wait and see if problems arrise. If you can monitor areas you think may be an issue, that would surely help.

Ive come to find out that new ideas on internet forums do not usually command a warm welcome. But once someone trys something diffrent and it works well all a sudden they are treated like a god in the local community about the subject.

I suggest you experament with your idea as much as you feel comfortable, you may find you hit the nail right on the head, it may need some tweaking, or it may not work at all, if it doent work just dont post that you ever did it in the first place. if it does post a wright up with nice pics. you may find your name applied to it to desinate what people are talking about years later. "the Arnout cooling mod"

This has happened with early 7m supra mods, i forgot the name used but people discovered putting washers in the waste gate mount bolts on the supra makes a little more boost, and for many years it was called "the 'someones name' mod" i forgot the name tho. but before it was done a lot of people where negitive about possable side effects, citeing that toyotas design, for quite a wile after it was the cheap power mod that almost everyone did.

So i say, its your money, your ideas, your project, your pain or plesure, go have fun and invent.

Im working on a front water bridge elminating cooling system mod, but my reasons are you make room for a very low profile front faceing intake, when i have something to share on this topic ill make my own thread about it.

Im now off to watch the first ever F1 night race. another thing people said wouldnt work.

Lots of stock car guys over here are running huge horsepower out of N/A engines without modifying the engine side of the cooling system. They generally have good air flow around the engine though. One thing that they nearly all do as the power gets up is run oil coolers. The same with the jetboat boys. I think a engine oil cooler is the next thing to do.
If you were going to mod the engine cooling system I would recommend fitting many temp sensors so you can measure the results.

Good luck
Cheers

There are enough 1UZ's running 500+hp with stock cooling systems that I'm happy to see how mine goes. Gee look at Justen's figures and his doesn't overheat!

My engine runs a very large oil cooler and the standard Range Rover radiator, that's the one part RR got right.

I'll know in a few weeks if it can handle it but I would be very surprised if it overheats.