Modifying AC fans for Radiator Fans

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Gang,

I would like to increase my cooling system due to the strain from FI. I wonder if i can utilize those A/C fans for cooling. I would need to rewire the fans and bypass some wires.

What do u think?

Fans are far more efficient in "pulling" air than "pushing" it.

As the air conditioner fans are mounted in front of your radiator the benefit of running them all the time will be marginal.

The bigest gain in efficiency you could get is to put a shroud around your twin 16" fans. You need to make the fans draw every cubic foot (of air they move) through the radiator rather than suck it in from the side.

I will try to get a photo of my fans. They are twin fans of a Ford sold here in Australia and they cover every square inch of my radiator. I even added a small amount of plastic to ensure they only got air from the front of the radiator.

Even before my turbo installation. I think my ac fans are broken. I was running very hot. I have never seen those fans goes on. I know they are pressure and temperature sensitive, but i have never seen them goes on.

I guess step one is get them running. If the fan motors are faulty I would try to fit the largest fan/s I could.

Attached is a photo of the fans on my Rover.

As you can see any air the fans pass will have come through the radiator core.

You have the same fans as me, or at least close
I think you have the EL fans?
I am using the AU fans.

thermos_3.jpg

But these fans pulled the water temp down from 100deg (or more) down to 88 degrees in about 2 mins, and thats with the car idling in my driveway
And I only have a 2 core radiator.
That was with the laptop read out.
The temp gauge moved from 3/4 to normal in about 10 seconds.

What is the length and width or the Ford Falcon Fans? and roughly what kind of $$ are they from the wreckers??

I haven't looked into the thermo fan side of my conversion too much yet, but I think the Falcon ones might be a little bit wide.

Ummm, the same size as a Cressida radiator?
It cost me $220AUD, from a wrecker. New is about $400, and trade is closer to $300.

I know the depth is 90mm
Width is about 650mm
Not sure about height, but you can alway play with that, unless you are really cramped for room.

I got mine from the local Ford Dealer (first and last time to ever walk into a Ford Dealership) for $298.00 and I didn't get any discount!

twisty_toy94 said:
What is the length and width or the Ford Falcon Fans? and roughly what kind of $$ are they from the wreckers??

I haven't looked into the thermo fan side of my conversion too much yet, but I think the Falcon ones might be a little bit wide.

This is a pic of my fans (EF Falcon) "sitting" on my radiator prior to fitment in my car in 2002. Based on a stock Cressida radiator's dimension, this should give people "some idea" of the size of the EF/EL units.

Cost was $165.00 2nd-hand.

I tried to you the radiator water temperature sensor to trigger my electric fans. I drove for about 20 minutes with boost... The fans did not come on. ??? I use it as the Ground trigger. The stock LS400 is rated 190 F and the Wells sensor is 194 F or 90 C.