Mid Mount Twin Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
I would like to have your feedback on a pair of mid mount turbos. By mid mount I mean a set of small turbos located in the place of the AC compressor and Alternator location. I can live without AC in Southern California. With the delete of the A/C and the relocation of the alternator. Reverse mount of the alternator make it possible. Now with the deletion of the AC and relocation of the alternator will free up two nice size space on the side of the V. It will be a nice tight fit for a set of T3 turbine. Therefore a set of T3 or T3 hybrid will fit nicely. I plan to run a set of T3/60-1 on both sides. Please see pictures attached at the bottom of the page.

Here is a picture of the two accessories deleted/relocated:
attachment.php

Due to the closeness of the turbos and exhaust gas. The turbos will be very responsive. What do u guys think?

Are you sure you can live without the A/C in Cali summer? :crucified:I actually didn't use the A/C for most of the time during the summer, except for some occasions that I needed to keep myself cool or on the freeways. For the twin T3, they can be mounted in the front with the swapping of the electric fan.

I could that do that. But maintaince for the car is a pain. I would like this idea with compact turbos. Its will be very similar idea as the Benz S600 Bi Turbos setup:

Ba2c0000113.jpg

I want to create a factory look.
S600-IMG_4162.jpg

good place to put turbos for saving space, but not for maintenance okr if you want to swap them. and not good for keeping the engine cool. that Merc biturbo V12 overheats when its pushed hard(C/D Lords of Envy comparo, year?).

If you're taking out the AC and relocating the alt, I would mount the turbos in the standard location (in front, off to the sides)...as there plenty of room....and use the extra space to have some really nice exhaust manifolds made up. Where you have them located in the your pics, you'd need some pretty funky and restrictive mani's.
Thats just me though.

Well yeah, but that's not like it's the *only* OEM engine on earth that ever overheated when it was run hard.
That may be due to the intense heat (over 90 degrees) at our desert test site, where repeated runs had the car's coolant gauge reaching the top of its scale, whereupon the engine computer cuts boost and probably retards ignition spark, too, for good measure. That slows the SL65 right down.
Hell, for that matter has Toyota ever produced a production FI'ed engine that wouldn't overheat during a track day? Both MR2's do it. The Supra FAQ says they run hot on really hot days...
last point, there is a big misconception that since the supra's rated output is 320 BHP, the cooling system is rated to cool the engine OK at 320 bhp. this is not so at all - and not by a long shot! why? well the engine in normal use very rarely sees maximum output, and then only for very short durations. so the toyota engineers (and every other brand of automotive engineers) figured out how much "average" horsepower the car needs to make under normal operating conditions, added some reserve and then used that figure to size the cooling system and radiator.

I don't think people should look too deeply into that particular issue. An overheating problem would be the SOHC toy truck 3vz-e v6. They run such a restrictive left bank crossover-pipe (with an ill-designed coolant routing to compensate) they burn the #6 exhaust valves insessantly, overheat, warp the ehad & blow the weak gaskets.
*That* is an actual problem LoL!

I would bet, that a better radiator, lower thermostat & higher presure cap would help. Rmeember also, that thermostats are alot higher than they were oh so long ago. The engines are kept running at a higher temp for emessions. :\
That's just my thought on the matter. Who knows. maybe there's a real problem, or something. But I sorta doubt it.

AFA a tight fitting turbo on the v8's. Ceramic coat the outside of it, use water cooled center sections, wrap the thing in header wrap & throw a shiney stainless heat shield on it.

Toys,

The Benz's don't just catch fire at their test facility.

We've lost a few in Australia and there's nowhere you can run them all that fast and hard other than the Northern Territory.

These cars are burning in our cities.

I have some new pictures on the mid mount.... They are mounted infront and slightly lowered. Its at the crank pulley level. Here are some pictures. The exhaust can go straight from the headers.

i see no reason why that wouldnt work, but it might be better if you went with a location that can be reached easier. such as at head height, in front of the engine. that might not work either, but im just throwing examples out. those low turbos would be a pain to get to, even for me, and im a small person.

With Toysmre's help. I decided to get:

Option # 2:
COMPRESSOR SPECS:T04S housing
flow: 61 lbs/min 781cfm
.70 A/R housing
60 TRIM wheel
TURBINE SPECS:T3
.63 A/R housing
HIGH FLOW 76 TRIM stg 3 wheel
oil lubricated centersection.
for use with external wastegate.
COMES STANDARD WITH 360 DEGREE THRUST BEARING!!!
supportable of 575 whp!

Its not as good as GT35R but its about 90-95% of the top dog with half of the price. I will find a compressor map later. I will mount the turbos like the pictures from my above post using something very similar to Burns Stainless 4 in 1 collector pipe with T3.
4-1_25ds_T3-b.jpg

Burns charging about $300 each. I am going to make it for less then $40 each. Will post some pictures when I get them.