Manual Steering Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jay-spec

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this thread but here go...I have a 91 Supra with 1UZ-FE/T and I'm not a huge fan of power steering so I opted to go without it by disconnecting the pump and lines.

To my understanding a Mustang manual steering rack is a great alternative for the MK3 guys. After reading a write-up on this swap I begin to wonder why can't I use my existing rack&pinion and save alot of trouble.

My question to my fellow forums met is why don't people just remove the vanes and torsion rod in the power steering assemble on the R&P. I'm not 100% but wouldn't that free up any unnecessary resistances and pretty much give it the same design principles of a manual rack?

I'm building a car from scratch, using Mk3 Supra front suspension and steering.
I removed all the power-steering gubbins from the rack, using these Miata instructions as a guideline: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

After draining out all the P/S fluid, I put lots of grease on the rack to keep it lubricated.

I am yet to finish the car, so I don't know how well it works yet, but pushing it around my workshop, it feels ok.

Thanks alot for the input, it's only makes sense this go this route. I'm not 100% sure but the seal are the things that cause all the tension when the pump is on.

Thanks again