LS460 undercar picture, mufflers?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

The LS460 is one of the quietest cars ever made. Look at the picture below and count how many muffling devices you see. This picture is from Tom's Racing in Japan and has different final mufflers but I believe the rest is completely stock.

chaccis.jpg

2 sets of cats a pair of resonators and the final mufflers? Looks like a nice system but i doubt anything past the front cats is stock, looks like mandrel stainless to me?

The quietest car I have heard was the stock SC400's....I can't tell you how many times I have turned the motor over when it was already on and running... I am sure the LS460 basically runs in stealth mode...

Those are some lengthy resonators on that LS460..

2 sets of cats a pair of resonators and the final mufflers? Looks like a nice system but i doubt anything past the front cats is stock, looks like mandrel stainless to me?

Actually, if you look close the system is completely stock until the outlets of the twin resonators. Look how precisely the parts fit in the space provided.
The aftermarket final mufflers are smaller than stock and you can clearly see the heatshielding is for larger mufflers than shown.

However you are very close. 2 pre-cats, 2 main cats, 2 silencers and 2 final mufflers... BUT... there is one more... the H-pipe which is actually more of a plenum. This both quiets the car and IMO actually looks to the engine like the tailpipe. IOW, the engine doesn't "see" anything past this H section.

So, the answer would be 9 (nine) muffling devices.

Oh, and to Thermactor, regarding this vs. the LS600... I said ONE of the quietest.

Actually, if you look close the system is completely stock until the outlets of the twin resonators. Look how precisely the parts fit in the space provided.
The aftermarket final mufflers are smaller than stock and you can clearly see the heatshielding is for larger mufflers than shown.

However you are very close. 2 pre-cats, 2 main cats, 2 silencers and 2 final mufflers... BUT... there is one more... the H-pipe which is actually more of a plenum. This both quiets the car and IMO actually looks to the engine like the tailpipe. IOW, the engine doesn't "see" anything past this H section.

So, the answer would be 9 (nine) muffling devices.

No reason why an aftermarket system wouldn't fit precisely? but happy to take your word for it that it's stock.....very nice work from Toyo indeed in that case.

I can't see that H-pipe helping flow and therefore would hurt power but there for noise control (to cancel a particular resonance i suspect) so no doubt does what it is supposed to.

Garbage....Looks restrictive... Too many bends, curves, mufflers, resonators, cats, etc.. I'm choking just looking at it..... Looks nice though...

You are joking... right? That is an EXTREMELY well engineer exhaust system. Minimal bends. Very high flow and efficient catalysts. Straight through resonators. The only thing not shown is the manifolds which I have not seen and will withhold comment on.

No reason why an aftermarket system wouldn't fit precisely? but happy to take your word for it that it's stock.....very nice work from Toyo indeed in that case.

I can't see that H-pipe helping flow and therefore would hurt power but there for noise control (to cancel a particular resonance i suspect) so no doubt does what it is supposed to.

While aftermarket could fit precisely the picture is from Tom's Racing in Japan and their only exhaust mod available is final mufflers.
http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/arcive/2007_02_07_3.html

The rest is stock.

The H pipe may in fact add performance. It could be seen by the engine as the tailpipe and therefore may be able to effect tuning.