LS400 Muffler Question

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ctt0002

I have a 1994 ls400. I have taken the last 2 mufflers and the 2 middle mufflers off. The shop that did my muffler work, welded 2 "turbo mufflers" where the middle mufflers used to be and then they ran piping to the rear of the card. It sounds loud and drones a bit on the inside of the cabin but you can barely hear it on the outside. Right now it sounds like a muffler delete of the rear mufflers. I'm trying to accomplish a more aggressive sound. When i had all 4 oem mufflers removed, it sounded really loud and the drone was horrible, i'm trying to stay away from the drone and that kind of loudness. What can i do now to have a more aggressive sound than i am having now?

I am also getting a little noise at the catalytic converter i believe. It sounds like something is lose. some has said it could be the converter, some has said it could be the shield. How can i tell? some that has said if its the converter and if i'm looking for a cheap fix, i can add clamps on it. How do i do that?

Some has said if i add tips it would change the sound as well, how true is that?

Anything you do will change the sound. Some very little others a lot.

The turbo type mufflers you have in the middle positions are likely resonating into the car and the remaining sound is not loud at the back giving your symptoms.

The GS400, GS430, LS430 and SC430s all used straight through 2.0" resonators where your middle mufflers were. I would recommend doing the same. You want 2.0" or 2.25" or stock GS4xx take offs. Run mandrel 2.0" or crush bent 2.25" (minimal bending) to rear 2.25" straight through oval type mufflers such as Magnaflow. That said personal tastes vary and I prefer less noise.

Also check to see if your center unit is a resonator or a catalyst. Some California 1st gen LS400s had catalysts. Most have resonators.

If you don't know how to check have a competent friend or shop try to determine if the catalyst noise is a failing substrate or an external heat sheild and repair as appropriate.

I don't remember the piping size that the shop used. How should i measure the diameter of the pipe?

So what i should do is cut off the whole setup of what the last shop did, run 2.25" pipe from the converter to a set of mufflers at the rear of the car where the last set of oem mufflers used to be?

I'm not really sure how to describe the sound like i want to achieve.

This is what i want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQURHg02Jg but i don't want to spend that kind of money. Is it possible?

NO... do not cut off everything after the converters.
KEEP the stock Y pipe from the converters to the single middle section.
My recommendations were from the single mid pipe and back.

NO... do not cut off everything after the converters.
KEEP the stock Y pipe from the converters to the single middle section.
My recommendations were from the single mid pipe and back.

I think the muffler shop already did. I'll tKe some pics and post it when I get a chance. I don't know why it's hard to achieve the sound that I want.