LS400 Cold Air Intake - anyone done this?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

CoronaC

I'm just trying to find out what other people have done to their LS400's Air intake, to get a bit better flowing one and one that isnt heated up by the stock snorkel being right on top of the radiator.
I cant find anything about this on these forums or google, all i can find is info on SC400 BFI mod. I had a quick look at mine took off the air box and theres no where to get any piping out to the front, so has anyone got some advice on what to do.

I want to get this done before I do anything else, mainly cause it most likly be one of the cheapest things to do (I'm a tightass :D )

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for that, helped a bit, dont know about the cardboard in the engine bay though. Seamed that thread was directed a bit more at the later model LS400's, so how much diffence is there in the air box area? From what i could see it will be a bit different from the 1st gen Ls400's.

Looks like im going to have to take off the bumper and headlight and figure something out, anyone else got a few tips before i do this?

Also where would i be able to find some rubber type piping (like the part between the AFM and the manifold) and a largish bellmouth that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Cheers
Chris

No ones done a CAI/BFI for a first gen ls400 before?
All i need to find out is how to get piping from the box down to behind the front bumper, all i can think of is squishing the piping between the back of the headlight and the hole behind it, which will make it just as shockin with air flow as the snorkel is.
Any tips on how to do this or just squish a pipe through and hope for the best?

Im not into cloging up my engine bay with cardboard so i want to revise a little on JBrady's method and that is all i can figure out right now.

Cheers
Chris

Remove the plastic stock funnel and the hole will open up more, move the head light wiring and other crap to the side...That is as big as the hole will get, unless you start cutting away metal.....A custum funnel can be made to direct cold air from under the head light into the now larger hole..This is the design of the BFI intake which is shown and illustrated on PlanetSoarer.com website if I am not mistaken...Just remeber with any custom funnel intake you need to becareful not to design it so that water and debrees go flying up into your intake... Good luck...

Also if you can get creative you custumise and make a insulted cold air box around that intake hole and air filter area that will make it a true cold air box intake...I started too make such a design but it started to look too ugly...I was using a sheet metal box that boxed in the entire area with insulating foam and all ..Hard to explain...

Here are pics of my custom deal..