Look before you build

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes life isn't fair.

I've fabbed up at least 4 different sets of engine mounts to fit my Range Rover.

Each time I'm not happy with the space (or lack thereof) for the exhaust system.

I end up throwing what I've made away and leaving the project for a month or so to think it through.

I was busy chucking out my latest effort on Sunday when I spotted a rear transmission mount off the right hand side of the Range Rover transmission which looked like it would do the job without any fabrication. All it would need was welding to the chassis.

I happen to have two transmissions for it so have two mounts that match. As I won't be using either, hey presto two front engine mounts. Best thing is the Rover uses the same rubber insulators front and back.

With a little trimming they fitted in less than half an hour and are light weight, strong and fairly compact.

In fact if you had the Crown engine bracket you could fit these mounts without drilling or fabricating anything.

I wish I'd looked earlier on.

So the message here?

Look at what is available pre-made that will fit your application rather than re-invent the wheel.

We're all inclined to rush off to the drop saw and welder when we could be smarter.

Hi Zuffen,

Is the engine mount in the same dimension for the land Rover discovery and your Range Rover.

I am preparing the things before I start the swap.. I already get me 1991 Land Rover, 1UZ and Crown mounts

I little bit of planing and research can go a long way. I am always fixing up stuff ups for people with conversions. From mounting problems to wiring , to the end result simply not making any power. I see people using the parts the have and doing it the hard way instead of selling those parts and putting the money towards the correct parts.
I have a Merc in the shop at the moment - running a nissan RB25det and it makes 100kw at the wheels. Standard they make 150kw. All to do with programming the aftermarket ECU and fiddling with things they shouldn't. The oil drain was also no good and split and caught fire (no damage) and lack of knowledge cost the owner a turbo due to a factory restrictor being used with aftermarket turbo.
Another car we have at the moment is a RX3 - last time it came in we remounted the motor as the last shop to do so had done a shocking job. Out came the mount book and caterpiller mounts were used. Simple of the shelf items and the little rotory is rock solid.
With hiace vans when fitting 1UZ we where making different mounts for different chassis but now use the simplist mounts with a petrol cross member. Some off the other mounts where very ugly so swapping cross member solves the problem.
So Rod I completely agree with . Look around , ask others who have done it , and then plan how you will do your job.
Cheers

I have a book with many different mounts avaliable for different makes and models and also some universal ones. Very handy when doing conversions. We use it all the time. Cheers

Better parts suppliers will have a similar book.

Ask if you can have a look threough it or better still borrow it overnight on a deposit (so they know you will bring it back) so you can browse through it at your leisure.

These books will open up a plethora of options on mounts.