List of all the bits

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

username

I am in the process of a swap into a 86 Porsche 944 turbo. "the flea" and I test fit a 1uz a few weeks back. Except for some mild firewall modifications and a custom cross-member, everthing looks pretty straight forward.

The car is registered in California. So, I need to get the car running on the original SC400 ecu for the smog referee approval (sticker). Then everything comes off for a stand alone and twin turbos.

My question is, what are all the bits that I will to get this running on the stock ECU. Basically, what is not directly bolted to the engine that I will need to scavenge from the engine bay.

My list so far:
AFM
All four O2 sensor
ignitors (two of them)
cats (two of them)
engine ECU
wiring loom (if not attached to engine)
alternator
exhaust headers

Also, from what I understand, the car run will as normal if I place a blade fuse between the neutral pins on the auto-tranny portion of the engine ECU. Can someone who has actually done this confirm if this is true (no hearsay please).

From what I understand the following are directly bolted to the engine and should come with a complete long block:
EGR valve
ISC valve
starter
cold start injection
ECU water temp sensor
ignition coils
diagnostic port

I would appreciate any help in confirming what I need or what I may have forgotten.
Thank you in advance.

If you're using an SC400 are you going to use the hydraulic fan asembly?

If so get the fan ECU as well as the loom and plugs for it. You should endevour to get all the hoses, resevoir and cooler for the fan system.

The fan ECU is located next to the main ECU.

The fuse box wouldn't go astray together with the 3 fuse block for the alternator wiring.

Obviuosly you will get all the power steering hoses, resevoir etc.

Zuffen,

Thank you for the reply. I plan on using the porsche radiator with electric fans. The porsche fans are switched by a water temp sensor in the radiator and a seperate ECU. So, I dont have much use for the 1uz hydraulic fan. Will the SC400 ECU throw codes if it doesnt "see" the fan? I am not running power steering or AC. So, no worries for all those lines.
I was planning on using the porsche fuse block and relays for the starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc. I dont think this should be a problem... do you think I might have issues?

Was all the other information that I listed correct?

With all the swaps that have been done or attempted with the 1UZ, it seems that somebody with experience should put together a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would have columns with all the bits from the 1uz that will be required for a specific swap and what bits need to be sourced or fabricated. Perhaps, somebody could start a spreadsheet and then people who have done a swap could fill in the appropriate boxes for the car that they used for their 1uz monster. Having all this information centralized would save a tremendous amount of time (knowing what works, what companies make a specific adaptor, what needs to be cut-welded etc), money (cheaper if you buy all the bits at the salvage yard all at once), and board space (no need for everyone to search hundreds of past threads and then post a question that has already been answered somewhere else).
For example, there is an obscure thread on this board from a while back about someone trying to put a 1uz into a porsche 944. Unfortunately, the thread never seemed to mature into anything. Now, I am trying that swap (I am actually swapping into a 951, but same idea and engine bay). After a test fit (thanks to "the flea"), I dont see any major hang-ups. However, if there are any, it would be great to know that now, instead of six months from now when I have cut up my firewall and purchased all the engine bay guts from a SC400.
Normally, I would think that information on swaps would be too sparce and eclectic for a spreadsheet like this to work. However, I have been very impressed with the breadth of knowledge and experience on this board. I am continually amazed at how many things the 1uz has been used in. I think, for this engine, the information is available. It just needs to be organized... anyway... just a thought.

cheers, ben

Ben,

I think your information looks good.

I can't answer the fuse in the trans wiring as I haven't played with the auto's.

I think the swap will be great. Like a light weight 928.

Your idea on a spreadsheet is good.

To make it work you really need aco-ordinator to run it and regularly update a tech article.

Do I hear anyone volunteering?

This could be a start. I have not covered things like how engine mounts are made, but could post pics with the spread sheet. Also have not quite gone into the detail as above in regards to which igniters or cats etc are used, as this will vary from engine to engine, and in most cases the type on engine required is not important, it is sump setup, and a lot depends on ecu type and trans type.

Anyways, this is a start. I can probably look after it if people want to submit me there details in the same format. They can add any items on the bottom they like. I will try and compile them and keep it up to date as possible. Thats if it is suitable.

This is a screen shot of the file. Cant upload excel files.

Sorry to jack your thread Ben. I think the list idea was fantastic. I see the 1UZ as being the SBC of the next generation and it's swap potential is just as limitless. This more people that take interest in the 1UZ, the more aftermarket resources become available.

BlownV8, Isn't there an html "form" that would allow viewer interface? Or maybe have user selections via radio buttons. ??

The Flea said:
BlownV8, Isn't there an html "form" that would allow viewer interface? Or maybe have user selections via radio buttons. ??

I'll have a look at that. The only radio selections you could have would be sump postion though, as everything else is pretty much custom. I will have a look at the html option though, and see if Lex can put it in as a sticky or similar.

Blown V8,

Glad to see you stepped up to the plate.

It could turn into a tech article that was updated (say) once a month.

You would need to have people send you the information, you update the spreadsheet and them send it to Lex for inclusion on the Site.

Let us know if that suits and will work and we can all start flooding you with information.

Y the H#ll not. i still have 2 more weeks off work with the arrival of my new bub, so i should be able to deal with the original en-slaught. Do you want to make the file accessible somewhere on the site to download to fill out?????
Let eme know

In addition, may I suggest that those who have started swaps describe where they stopped and why.

I dont understand how this forum works and the logisitics of getting this thing off the ground. A moderator as editor would be a necessity, but ideally I think the best data would be had from a design that allowed users to enter the info.

My vision would be a list of autmobiles (make model year) along one column and then a list of OEM parts used off the 1uz, a list of parts that were sourced out, and then a list of parts that were fabricated. Next to each there would a brief text description of any special issues or tricks that others would benefit from. In the event that a full write up has already been created, then a link that write-up would of course be beneficial. This database would be a first step for those in the search. It would create a shopping list for the daring, eliminate needless posts from the weak, and keep the curious busy on late nights.

In life and, especially, in automobiles;
Many reinvent the wheel only to feel either (1) foolish that their conquest was already accomplished or (2) flattered that they journeyed a course similar to other nobel crusaders. However, those that reinvent the oval or square never feel good in end.

username said:
In addition, may I suggest that those who have started swaps describe where they stopped and why.

I dont understand how this forum works and the logisitics of getting this thing off the ground. A moderator as editor would be a necessity, but ideally I think the best data would be had from a design that allowed users to enter the info.

My vision would be a list of autmobiles (make model year) along one column and then a list of OEM parts used off the 1uz, a list of parts that were sourced out, and then a list of parts that were fabricated. Next to each there would a brief text description of any special issues or tricks that others would benefit from. In the event that a full write up has already been created, then a link that write-up would of course be beneficial. This database would be a first step for those in the search. It would create a shopping list for the daring, eliminate needless posts from the weak, and keep the curious busy on late nights.

In life and, especially, in automobiles;
Many reinvent the wheel only to feel either (1) foolish that their conquest was already accomplished or (2) flattered that they journeyed a course similar to other nobel crusaders. However, those that reinvent the oval or square never feel good in end.

This would be the ideal way to set it up, the problem with it is the following.
Too many cars to list. You could not list them all, otherwise it would take 15 mins for a drop down box to appear, and then everytime some-one did something different, you would have to re-modify your script to change it. Same with the list of std parts used, and outsourced parts would be even bigger. For example, i know of people that have used falcon ignitors on there cars, and some have used holden ignitors. By the time you add all these into a pulldown box, the list would be massive.
This way, people can just enter their parts

Blown V8,

I think your method has the best chance of success.

I think it needs to be tech article as more people will find it. If it's a sticky it will take up a heap of Forum room.

Usename,

Two more items you will fail without. Lot's more patience than you thought you had and double your original budget. Available anywhere.

was there a final verdict on the swap database?

I am still debating whether to risk this swap or not (into a porsche 951). The smog referees are never going to allow it. So, I would either need to really fool them with smoke and mirrors, register it out of state, or become a smog referee. Amazingly, I am still seriously considering it.

Also, since this thread has become a anything goes thread... I have acquired a good deal of information on CA smog rules for engine swaps. I have had a few listers contact me, personally, for info. Which forum is best to post this information to for future generations? It is not happy information, but it is usefull for all the californians thinking 1uz.

I am still prepared to do the database, just need a way for people to sned me the info. I guess that is up to the moderators. I could also have a section with relevant laws for engineering and the such for each state of each country as i get the info.

Blown,

You could have members PM you they want to send information and you could email them an Excel spreadsheet for them to complete.

They could email it back and you could cut and paste the information into your spreadsheat.

You could update the Site every month rather than everytime the information changes.

Works For me. ELHSupra has already sent the first lot thru. I will get to work on it. We need to make all members aware that this is now under way. How do you want to have it updated. Will i send it to you or Lex. Let me know.

Don't send it to me.

I don't have the access or ability to post to tech articles.

Lex is the man!

Attachments

• wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 82